Scripting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gguithues, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gguithues

gguithues Registered Member

Greetings,

I downloaded the eval version of TrueImage 10 (home). The disk-clone process works great, but I'd like to script that process. That way a non technical user can plug a USB drive into the computer and click a shortcut to clone a disk.

Is that possible with this product? Is there another one you'd recommend?

Thanks,

-Greg Guithues.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I don't think so. Certainly not in the normal Task Scheduling wizard. Cloning, generally, is a one-time action to change a disk (for example to a larger one) or to move to another computer. Making backup images is, as a rule, more versatile since you can store many on a single drive and still ahve access to each ofthe files in each back via Explorer or Acronis Mount functions.

Additonally,

3. gguithues

gguithues Registered Member

My client wants to use cloning as nightly backup... I thought I'd try this and then check out Ghost. She can navigate the menu, but I think a script would be a more elegant solution.

-Greg.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

And have just one backup on hand? I hope, for their sake you tried to convince them of the imprudence of such a shortsighted backup routine?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gguithues,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. Since you are interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, I would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Moreover, there are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

Please notice that Acronis True Image provides a wide variety of backups scheduling options. No clone scheduling options are available.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.