Scriptblocker in the browser: what does it protect you from?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by shmu26, Jun 14, 2022.

1. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I want to know if installing a scriptblocker in my browser will help to protect my credit card credentials when I make an online purchase. If I understand right, such credentials are often harvested from infected sites. This makes me think that the attack takes place after the data has already left the browser, in which case, how will a scriptblocker help?

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Certainly it is additional protection especially if you block third-party scripts and frames by default.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I believe it depends on the type of scriptblocker that you're using. For example uBlock is focused on blocking ads and trackers while not trying to break website functionality, so it mostly blocks third party scripts. But you also have NoScript which is way stricter because it tries to block first party scripts, but the downside is that it often breaks websites, and you will then keep having to finetune rules per site.

Most people won't bother with this, and it's not even sure if it will block malicious scripts, because most likely you will have to allow them on online webshops. It's best to not use any credit cards, or at least switch to virtual credit cards. You could also use PayPal and in Europe we use this system named iDeal which is quite secure because you always need to have physical access to your PIN/debit card when making payments on PC devices.

4. XIII

XIII Registered Member

5. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

This is not really true. Yes, by default Noscript blocks first-party scripts but uBO can be configured accordingly which blocks all scripts and not only 3rd-party scripts like when using Dynamic Filtering in Medium or Hard Mode.

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

to make something clear: infected pages are infected.see: Cross Site Scripting (XSS)

you dont have any chance to correct it because you only see the server and the malware script is injected into the server. locking the browser only to first party scripts as described above do not change anything behind the attack.

concerning injected scripts from other sources second/third party blocking is usable

what a script blocker can check, based on its filtering lists, if a script contains questionable keywords or based on its name.

finally - if you do not trust the server or vendor, dont buy there.

7. summerheat

Right, and this is why using Medium or Hard Mode in uBO is a good protection.

Yes, that's another advantage of uBO. In Noscript you can only allow/block scripts for specific sites - it's not possible to allow/block specific scripts like in uBO (either via filterlists or by inspecting them via the logger).

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

9. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

10. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lisQQmWQkY(endorsed by @gorhill ).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2022
  12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes of course it also has got these capabilities, but my point is that uBlock's main goal is not to block first party scripts since it would break most websites like NoScript does. So yes, blocking first party scripts makes browsing more safe but it comes with a hefty price.

Yes, good point. I never really understood this, but if the server itself is infected then I'm also not sure if blocking scripts on the endpoint would help in the first place.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Some of us like yours truly DO bother with the extra effort on NoScript. In my Chrome Browser many times its as simple as clicking the temporary load the blockages and it instantly refreshes the web page that it smothers and blocks.

If it ever gets to be too much I might choose to turn it off because as you say @Rasheed187 it is soundly more stricter, which I find appealing but probably not that much necessary in tandem with uBlockO.

14. summerheat

See @Azure Phoenix ' reply. You should read this wiki site as well.

FWIW, here's how I use Dynamic Filtering. If you don't want to use Hard Mode, omit the first step. If you don't want to block 1st-party scripts, don't enable that setting. uBO is very flexible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.