"ScreenWings" prevents malware capturing your screen

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hawki, Oct 17, 2016.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Thanks hawki.....betanews offered more info than hendrik-schiffer.com/screenwings.html

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. guest

guest Guest

No screenshots possible :thumb: (region/window/freehand/full screen/...)
    I think it's effective in protecting the screen.

At first the memory usage was 30-40MB but it grows up to more than 140MB (within a short time)

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting, perhaps he can combine it with GhostPress, to make it an "all in one" portable anti-logger.

5. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.2 Released (April 26, 2019)
    Website

6. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.3 Released (May 7, 2019)
    Website

7. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.6 Released (July 1, 2019)
    Website
    https://schiffer.tech/software/screenwings/changelog.txt
    #Autstart GUI did not show up fixed
    #Ghost mode does not require an .ini file
    #Decreased executable size

#Autostart now shows the GUI if not minimized in the previous session
    #Improved exception handling
    #Minor UI updates

#Windows 10 close crash fixed
    #Rare taskbar protection bug fixed

8. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.7 Released (September 2019)
    Website

9. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.8 Released (September 18, 2019)
    Website

10. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Saw the 2.8 update and was considering using this for just my internet facing apps after looking at the small help.pdf where it says
    Needless to say I was skeptical so I created two standard users to test from. One to run ScreenWings and another to run the screenshot tests from. So I used runas to start up screenwings under the first standard user, activated it and minimized to the tray. Used runas again and started up the test program(s) under the second standard user. They all were able to grab screenshots as I had expected. Redid the test via switch user with same results. I did find that it was functional if both programs were running under the same user or if ScreenWings was run as admin.

Short recap: Sure you can RUN it on a public/untrusted computer but its not going to actually do anything except block programs running under the same account as you are (which might be good if a previous user left something running under the same account) so it has limited helpfulness this way as it obviously won't stop anything the provider has pre-installed running in the background from capturing them either.

After that I was still considering adding it to my system and simply running an instance for each internet facing app (which already runs under it's own user account) using the -ghost command to hide the tray icon & interface but that doesn't even work and instead I get an informational alert
    In addition it seems the program is designed to only allow one instance, which means I'd have to end up running it as admin so it works for all standard users, even if the -ghost mode worked but I only wanted to use it for specific internet facing software as a just-in-case.

All in all it's not a bad offering (it is free after all) for most users and while it came close it's not going to work in my setup as I had hoped it might. =(

11. hsdev

hsdev Developer

+Hidden feature adapt UI to Windows UI; AdaptDesign=1
    #Improved memory manipulation guard
    #Fixed possible false positive detections

@syrinx
    ScreenWings protects against the most likely scenario: The main risk is that another third party runs spyware in the background after secretly running it on the same user account. If you worry about the Administrator watching you or the public computer grants Administrator privileges, you should not use the computer at all. Beside of addition risks e.g. exploits, hardware screen grabbers, ... ScreenWings still covers the most likely risk. Anyway, we never recommend using a public computer for private or personal purposes at all.
    More protection layers will be published in v 3.*.

If you are using it on your computer simply use the -autostart parameter instead of the -ghost parameter.

12. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.11 Released (November 18, 2019)
    Website

13. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.12 Released (November 21, 2019)
    Website

14. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings can block malicious programs from taking screenshots
    November 22, 2019
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/11/22/screenwings-can-block-malicious-programs-from-taking-screenshots/

15. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.13 Released (January 1, 2020)
    Website

16. guest

guest Guest

ScreenWings v2.14 Released (February 27, 2020)
    Website

17. hsdev

hsdev Developer

+Autostart hardening
    +Partial protection of HMenu and some overlays

#Improved UI warning
    #Detection alert resistance improved

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.