Screen turns black while browsing online

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tarnak, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have been offline since Friday, and my computer is in the workshop and won't be looked at by the technician until this Friday.

Before taking it to the workshop, I tried it with a borrowed monitor, and it still wouldn't boot up. So I think that the problem is not with the monitor.

I then went back and tried with the original monitor, and this time it managed the POST= Power On Self Test. So that seems to also indicate it is not the monitor.

However, it will not show the login screen for me to enter my login. The screen remains completely black with no cusror.

I have noticed with the side of the tower removed, that the CPU fan starts and stops the during the bootup attempt. I am running XP Pro SP2.

P.S. I am posting this from my local library. So, it looks like I will be off the air for the foreseeable future...say at least until
    next Monday at the ealiest. :doubt:

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

http://tips4pc.com/articles/computer troubleshooting/computer_has_a_black_screen_and.htm

This seems to describe the situation with my computer the best from the aforementioned article:-

"Everything seems to be running but you can’t see anything on the screen, not even a flashing cursor."

Hopefully, it is something as simple as the need for just some more thermal paste for the CPU. Just speculating...since I never had a major problem with hardware before.

P.S I won't be able to check in again before the weekend. :( ;)

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am back... after getting the replacement ASUS motherboard. :)

Attached Files:

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Classic Graphics card problem, Unfortunately I read this after your 3rd post, and could have saved you a bundle before you replaced your MB, but no harm in doing that ASUS are a great product. However if you ever encounter this problem again, remove and replace your graphics card, and make sure its securely fitted, as even the slightest knock or shock can dislodged the Card from the port, this also applies to your monitor cable, be it HDMI or Analog. Anyway good your back ;)

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

DVD+R, Thanks! :)

I got the computer back after 2 weeks, but it lasted 15 minutes with just the monitor connected, before it just went into continual rebooting. I took it back and they tested it again. This time they said the reset switch in the Antec P182 case was found to be corroded.

Now, I have a Gigabyte motherboard that looks ok to me, but which the shop says, no longer works. Ah, well. I'll know better next time. ;)

6. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Often this is the case of excess dust in the interior leading up to a thermal shutdown of some or all systems. Open the case and blow out/vacuum the dust from the Power Supply, CPU fins, Video Card fins and all the fans. Take care not to touch the tip of the nozzle to any components as a static discharge may result in a non-working chip. If you ever get a BSOD look at the codes and see if there was a mention of a thermal error.

Best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.