Screen resolution issues...

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Luxeon, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

My spare computer downstairs (Dell from about 2002) has W7 32 bit and a Dell M793 CRT monitor made in 2001. The resolution is pretty nice.
    Settings are stock: 800x600, standard refresh rate (the hz is not listed in the settings panel), icon size small.
    Display reads "Generic PnP monitor..."

Our main computer, a Dell built late 2009 has a Dell M780 CRT monitor (from around 2002), with settings similar to above. I think the refresh is at 72hz. The icons are smaller, and it is a bit blurry.
    Display reads "Generic non-PnP monitor..."

The graphics cards are stock.

Any idea why the older computer with the older monitor would have better resolution?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I do not fully understand the problem. If the icons are smaller than it probably means it is higher resolution as everything gets smaller as resolution goes up. 800*600 is an extremely low resolution anyway so the quality difference wouldn't be large considering that most modern monitors have atleast 1280*800.

Also when you say graphics cards are stock do you mean they are the same or different graphic cards. If they are different graphic cards than you cant expect them to offer the same quality on each display. One is probably more powerful than the other or has better drivers to allow a high resolution

The monitor is only a single variable out of many that can affect resolution. Drivers probably have a much bigger effect on what res you can use.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Luxeon, have you tried swapping monitors for troubleshooting purposes?

If the Dell M780, on the spare computer, is still blurry, then look at the monitor's built-in menu for specs you can tweak.

According to the Dell™ M780 Color Monitor User's Guide, the optimal resolution is 1024 x 768, which will make the icons smaller than the Dell M793 at 800 x 600.

Also, Coolio10 is on the right track, regarding drivers. The fact that both Monitor Displays state "Generic" means that specific drivers for those monitors are not installed.

4. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Yes, I do think the difference is probably in the drivers and video cards.

The basement computer (nice resolution) has a "standard VGA adapter" (I could not find a specific brand name) and the driver is from Microsoft dated 6/21/06. The Version is 6.1.7600.16385.

The office computer (poor resolution, non-pnp) has an Intel G31/G33 chipset and the most current driver from Intel.
    I think this driver/card combo doesn't like the old monitor.

There is a driver available from Dell...from 2000! I'm tempted to try it, but it probably would not play well with the Intel card.
    Can old driver run a new card?

I surfed for more info and note that the computer can be set to VGA mode, but apparently it results in lower resolution than the monitor's capability.

Well...maybe I should just get an LCD monitor.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Luxeon, with an 8 year old blurry monitor, a new monitor for that 2009 PC, perhaps is the way to go. ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.