Screen capture while entering master password

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by discs, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discs

discs Registered Member

I am looking at password managers.

Looking at various posts I see that some do not use, say, the inbuilt Firefox password manager because although it is a good one when used with a strong master password and the addon Secure Login it is vulnerable to keyloggers when entering the master password.

Most other password managers also seem to rely on a good strong master password. Although they seem to provide a virtual keyboard for entering the master password to protect against keyloggers, I do not see any mention of protecting the entry of the master password against screen capture/logging attempts.

Since the master password is the fundamental 'point of entry' to the password system isn't this lack of protection at a basic level of the password system something to be concerned about?

Are there any password managers which guard against the screen capture of the master password? One of them, Keepass I think, provide a secure desktop for entering the master password; does this guard against its screen capture?

I would appreciate feedback on this because I have really got stuck in choosing a password manager at this early starting point.

Thank you.

Windows Home Premium x64; Firefox 13; Sandboxie; Outpost Firewall

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Yes, it does protect against screen capture, if using the secure desktop option.

3. discs

discs Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, Scoobs. It enabled me to go ahead and try out Keepass today - and also discover its autocomplete obfuscation function!

All in all Keepass seems like a wonderful password manager, which I am now likely to use for my sensitive data.

Thanks again.

4. java dude

java dude Registered Member

Don't forget, you can also use a keyfile along with your master password, so even if a keylogger somehow manages to grab your KeePass master password, it won't do any good. :)

5. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

i use lastpass heard its the best out there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.