Scientific Linux, openSUSE, Ubuntu Tests

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

SL6.1 doing badly was a surprise. I would expect it to do better. Actually, I can tell the difference on the same setup (laptop or Desktop) when running SL6.1, or CentOS 6.0 for that matter, versus Lucid. Lucid is quicker, smoother, easier to use, and more a pleasure to use. I'm only using SL6.etc and CentOS 6.0 (probably forever...:cautious: ) in case I can't find an Ubuntu derivative that I enjoy using since I don't particularly like Unity or Gnome 3.

I'm an Ubuntu fan to the core but I feel like Mr. Shuttleworth is taking Ubuntu down the wrong road...and as a result is leaving me behind.

Later...

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Trespasser, i have just looked at the results of those tests, and whilst not really understanding all of them, to me it seemed that SL 6.1 did very well.
    I am quite pleased with Kubuntu (11.10) and will consider it a replacement for Ubuntu 10.04 when the 5 year support 12.04 LTS arrives.

On the weekend I will try Lubuntu 11.10.
    Yeah, the quest for a 'decent' replacement for Ubuntu continues. So far it's either SL, or Kubuntu which I know that you dislike. :)

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well ocky xubuntu is much better than lubuntu as it dont benefit on good hardware

also you can try new ubuntu 11.10 its pretty good not bad trust me :D

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

where it did bad i guess its goes neck to neck with ubuntu LTS

also the test are on AMD Radeon HD 4870 which is not supported by Sl so far i know i may be wrong

also Trespasser you like ubuntu more because of old ubuntu user ;)

where i feel the same way about fedora now SL feels like home ...... what i find weird about ubuntu is it sometimes act like windows i mean ........i do see wierd stuff on ubuntu sometimes

which also happen sometimes in fedora/SL ................ but never without any install/update or tweak where in fedora/SL

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I don't use or like Ubuntu for benchmarks which it consistently does well against the so called speedy distros but for its support and ease of use which helps me convert those who are willing to try Linux. Unity is just an option in Ubuntu, you have almost all the DE varieties in Ubuntu.

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Oh, I was under the impression that if Lubuntu is fast on low end it would surely be extra fast
    on higher spec PC's.

8. Trespasser

You won't like Lubuntu, Ocky. It's too different than what you're use to. Lubuntu uses Openbox (DE) and PCManFM (file manager). Openbox is alright and I learned to work around its limitations. PCManFM was the real problem for me. For example, when you want to play a DVD movie or you insert a usb drive PCManFM first pops up a box asking whether you want to open it or not. I just want it to open with no questions. For a long time I used a distro called Peppermint (put together by a couple of dudes from Asheville, North Carolina...about two hours from where I live). It used Openbox and PCManFM. I got around the DVD/usb not-opening-immediately problem by using halevt but they moved on to basing their distro on Maverick, from Lucid, and thus they dropped hal from the install. Even if you installed hal halevt never would work properly after that...so I gravitated back to Gnome.

Heck, who knows...you may like Lubuntu. I'm just relaying my experience with it. BTW, Peppermint was based on Lubuntu and I used Lubuntu separately as well.

Later...

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks Trespasser.

Always good to hear from someone who has been there, done that, and got the T-shirt.
    After reading your post I promptly scratched Lubuntu from my what to do next list. :rolleyes:

10. Trespasser

Ocky,
    Go ahead and try it, dude. You might take to it like you have to Kubuntu.

I tried a distro the other day called Kwort. Small download size (~400 mbs). I burned it to disc, threw it in my laptop drive and proceeded with the install. That was an hour and a half that I'll never get back, or, in other words, it appears to compile everything during the install. When it FINALLY finished I was greeted with an Openbox Desktop environment which looked OK. My only complaint was it uses Midnight Commander as a file manager. Talk about primitive. I found it totally unusable, so I CloneZilled my way back to civilization.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.