Scientific Linux 6 RC1 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Scientific Linux 6 RC1 was released just a short while ago. Here is the release announcement...

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1102&L=scientific-linux-devel&T=0&P=5851

I'm presently downloading the Install DVD, which is like the Red Hat 6 or Oracle 6 release but with up-to-date packages. Urs has not yet released a Live CD sized version but I would expect it to follow shortly.

Should you be interested the download links, for both 32 and 64 bit, are in the release announcement.

Later...

2. Trespasser

Good morning,

I have to do a bit of retracting here concerning my "I'm presently downloading the Install DVD, which is like the Red Hat 6 or Oracle 6 release but with up-to-date packages" statement. The SL-6-i386-2011-02-18-Install-DVD, and the 64 bit, I assume, are basically a Red Hat 6 Final release...just like Oracle 6. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I posted on the mailing list suggesting that this Install DVD be updated to include the latest packages. I really don't see the logic behind such a release. I was expecting a fully updated system at the end of the install yet I had 112 packages waiting on me when I checked for updates.

Like I said, this is just to correct some of my misinformation stated earlier.

Later...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. albsat

albsat Registered Member

What about the live cd? has anyone tried it? can u use this live cd to install SL 6 later on the computer?

4. Trespasser

The SL6 Beta 3 LiveCD (no RC1 yet), available at the SL 6 download site, is installable...has the latest packages (kernel, Firefox, etc.), but has been stripped of a lot of packages (4.2 gigs down to ~700 mbs...get the point?) like OpenOffice, cups and others.

I'm not sure whether you can upgrade from SL6 Beta 3 to the Final. Troy Dawson did mention in the SL 6 RC1 release announcement that if you install...

"yum-conf-sl6x - added
    Installing yum-conf-sl6x will keep your SL6 system at the
    latest release. As soon as the next release it out, it will
    update to it."

but that was referring to RC1. BTW, there will be a Final LiveCD.

Hope that helps you.

Later...

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

yes you can update i install a fedora beta long time ago and upgrade it to final release without a problem :p

but it is not recommended

if you can wait a little for rc1 live you can install it and update it for final release with very less chances to bad things happen :p

6. mack_guy911

is docky available in SL6 by the way o_O

also like to know if there are other environment for SL like xfce and lxde

i mean pure xfce and lxde not what we install inside from gnome

7. Trespasser

Hey Mack_Guy,
    I can't say that I've seen docky, xfce nor lxde in any of the repos (atrpms, epel, elrepo, or rpmforge), but I have seen IceWM. Here are the repos that I have bookmarked...have a look...

Atrpms http://dl.atrpms.net/
    Elrepo http://elrepo.org/linux/
    Epel ftp://195.220.108.108/linux/epel/6/
    Rpmforge http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el6/en/

I've noticed that Fedora 12 rpms will install in SL6 as long as you have all the dependencies handy (if any are required). That's how I got Emerald, compiz-settings-manager, Gnomenu, and Bleachbit to install. I couldn't get fusion-icon to install (a dependency that I couldn't find) but that's OK since adding "emerald --replace" in Startup Applications enabled Emerald.

Also, I've got LibreOffice 3.3 to install in SL6. If you need help with that one let me know.

BTW, SL6 Final is, at the most, only 2 weeks away...assuming no last minute complications.

Later...

8. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

How are you finding SL 6 to be?
    A lot of dependency hunting?
    Are rpms available for all the desired software?

9. Trespasser

SL6 is cool and very stable. I like it a lot. I recommend it. SL6RC2 is due out tomorrow.

No problem obtaining the correct dependencies if I use RPMForge. And if not RPMForge then ATrpms will have it. Elrepo has an Ati fglrx driver that works with the latest kernel, and ATrpms has a version 260 Nvidia driver for the latest kernel. The only problem I've encountered so far, like I alluded to previously, was finding a dependency for fusion-icon fc12 (fusion-icon-ui).

Also, it depends upon what "desired software" you're talking about. If, like in my case, the desired software was Devede then good luck finding it in any el6 repo. I was ready to ditch SL6 until I visited the Devede homepage and researched its dependencies. RPMForge had them all. Another point...my wife use to love this card game called PySolFC (until she got involved in these Facebook flash animation games...Farmtown, CityVille, YoVille, yada, yada, yada....o_O ) that I still install for her in case she ever wants to play it again. Ubuntu has it in its repos but I couldn't find it in any of the available el6 repos. I located a PySolFC tar.gz, discovered its dependencies and luckily ATrpms had them all.

If you have any software that you would absolutely need then I suggest you look through those repo links I posted above and search for them. Might save you a little trouble later should you ever decide to try it?

And speaking of later...

Later...

10. mack_guy911

yess they are given in

Repositories Compatible With Scientific Linux

https://www.scientificlinux.org/community/repo

thanks again for informatics feedback on SL Trespasser

by the way i ask out of started thread question what you think about pclinuxos 2010.12 gnome :rolleyes:

11. mack_guy911

12. Trespasser

Hi everyone,
    Scientific Linux 6 RC 2 has been released. Here is the release announcement which includes download links...

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1102&L=scientific-linux-devel&T=0&P=8567

As Troy Dawson stated in the announcement, SL6 RC 2.5 will be released one day next week. And barring any unforeseen bugs that might pop up the Final will follow within a day or two.

BTW, I'll post a message if and when Urs's SL6 RC 2 LiveCD is made public. I half way expect him now to wait until the Final is released since the end is so close.

Later...

13. wearetheborg

Thanks. Is there any tool for SE6 that will automatically find all the dependencies? Like aptitude in debian?

How would you compare Debian 6 to SE 6?

14. mack_guy911

yum install xxx resolve dependencies

it also got add/remove default gui given for yum

there also best tool which i use myself fedora and love it is yumex

yumex yum gui interface its very easy to use

also all things i do with fedora work with SL as well expect rpmfusion repo

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473

i like fedora very much but one thing that i miss is fedora is no long term support like ubuntu LTS so i also looking this distro because of that feature so far i got beta 2.2 and its rocks

one more thing i like to add as gnome is old 2.28 very stable
    but default file browser open windows in its own which is kinda annoying for many of us

to avoid that there is nautilus in live dvd :D or you can install it

application>system tools>file browser

then from nautilus edit>preferences

second tab behaviour

and

check always open in browser window you get that panel as default :D

Attached Files:

15. mack_guy911

best easy way to do is is right click and install the desired rpm

if you have all repo's given above by Trespasser in your yum enabled it find all dependences automatic from package-kit

usually it work for me 99% time :D

16. Trespasser

Mack_Guy pretty much answered your question about resolving dependencies. The only problems you might have is enabling some of these repos at the same time...like RPMForge and ATrpms for instance...so avoid that.

As to how I would compare Debian and SL6....well, I think I'll steer clear of that one. Have you been following Reader Comments over at DistroWatch? Those Debian users sure are a passionate bunch. I'm afraid if I expressed my "true feelings" my life would be put at risk. Some of them are crazy...or should I say "passionate"...enough to track me down (yes, even here in the mountains of Southwestern Virginia). So hopefully you can understand my reasoning. :shifty: .

....... ;).

Oh, what the heck....SL6 kicks Debian's ~ Snipped as per TOS ~! :).

Later...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  17. wearetheborg

Er, where are the reader comments on distrowatch?

And why would you say SL6 kicks Debians *ay caramba*?

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for all the spadework, Trespasser and mack_guy.

After a hectic week on the equity markets trading cfd's and creating various spreads to cover my @you know what, I have just shrunk my Maverick extended partition to make space for SL6 on my 2nd hdd. :)
    How did you guys install adobe flash ? With CentOS 32 bit on an old laptop, I simply added the adobe repo (priority=1).
    Now however I will be installing the 64 bit SL6. Did you install the 64 bit 'Square' flash player from adobe labs or enabled the SL6 adobe repo ?

19. Trespasser

Hey Ocky,
    There's an adobe release rpm in the software manager. Just search for adobe. Personally, I use the Adobe Square beta 2 when I run 64 bit. And I always place it (32 or 64 bit) in ~/.mozilla/plugins. In my opinion, it's so much easier to change it out when an update surfaces.

Later...

*Addon...I should have said Square 64 bit beta 3 instead of beta 2. Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  20. Trespasser

Reader Comments=just go to DistroWatch>at the top of the page look for "DW Weekly, Comments". Click on Comments.

And why would I say that SL6 kicks Debian 6's *ay caramba*? Well, I really don't want to go into that...for if I did, it would stir up another hornets nest like the one I was involved in recently (referring to the Debian 6 announcement thread here at Wilders). All I will say is I've tried Debian 6 at three different times during the last short while and each time was a deep disappointment. Personally, this libre philosophy that some distros have taken to heart is beyond me. Iceweasel instead of Firefox? Gnash instead of Adobe? Not including certain drivers because they are considered proprietary (that every other decent distro happily supplies)? As I stated in that Debian 6 thread, Debian may be the parent but it sure can learn a thing or two from its children (Ubuntu in particular).

Later...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  21. wearetheborg

Just visited the distrowatch comments section. To be fair the Debian lovers are right on many point. Who the *ooh la la* needs a fancy gui installation enviroment.

Are the packages more recent in Debian 6 or SL6?

22. Trespasser

The install environment is not one of my gripes with Debian 6. As far as that goes it's almost like the Alternate Ubuntu install. Try removing evolution and epiphany (since I don't need either of them) in synaptic and see what happens. It wants to remove gnome-core which then wants to remove practically everything gnome related. That reminded me of how Ubuntu use to be several years ago. Luckily, Ubuntu has since remedied that situation.

That I not too sure about. I didn't keep Debian on my laptop long enough to research the version numbers of various applications. I do know that the kernels are basically equivalent (2.6.32), but Debian 6 ships with Iceweasel 3.5 while the normal SL6 install uses Firefox 3.6.9 and the SL6 LiveCD uses Firefox 3.6.13.

Later...

23. wearetheborg

Interesting that they ship with the same kernel...I was expecting SL6 to be older as it is based on RHEL 6

24. mack_guy911

Debian and Scientific Linux packages chart

please check Sl rc1 and debian 6.0 squeeze

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=scientific

default mode but after update many thing you get latest or at least stable if you use SL

good things about SL is

you get latest nvidia 2.60 +

firefox 3.13 or updated to it +

very stable kernel 2.6.32 +

can install office 3.3 can be installed although i have no issue with abiword and open office 3.2 +

redhat stability and security +

multimedia experience and sound quality is awesome in fedora/redhat base distro's

as security its pretty rock solid by default +

very light on resources +

there are above mentioned good things about SL i so far found.

i didnt use debian squeeze 6.0 gnome so i cannot comment on it

but 2 things i like to mention

SL 2.28 gnome is old as compare to debian 2.30 gnome

and nvidia default in SL (260.19.36) latest compare to 195.36.31 debian

25. Trespasser

Dude, the Red Hat 6 Final uses kernel-2.6.32-71.el6. Fedora 12 used 2.6.31. Guess Red Hat decided to go with a slightly more modern kernel.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.