Scientific Linux 6 Final released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albsat

albsat Registered Member

you need to install alacarte which is the menu editor.

I found a rpm of Gmail-notifier from fedora 13. so far so good. need help installing firefox4...thnx

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Solved the Network Manager Applet niggle. I needed to untick 'Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete' under IPv4 settings tab. No. False alarm.
    All Ok now. :)

@albsat

Thanks for the alacarte pointer.

Edit:- Also Firefox not patched yet.Still 3.6.14. Not good.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

4. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

If you are installing fedora 12 stuff; why not just install fedora? Arent many of the RHEL 6 stability advantages lost if fedora 12 stuff is mixed?

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You are right. Much better and safer to install from the sl 'approved' repos. You will find most of what you need there anyway. To date I have only installed one package (assogiate) from the fedora link that I was unable to find in the other repos.
    Other stuff like desklets, docks, abiword, Devede, I can do without as I have my 2 Ubuntus. I intend to use SL6 regularly because it really is rock solid and low on resources. I will leave the 'eyecandy' to Ubuntu.
    BTW. have you installed yet, and if so what do you think ? (Actually just installed Devede - no problems thanks to Trespasser.) ******
    ***** Handbrake not available, but of course one can just use vlc to rip/encode DVD's. It's
    easy and I have no problems.

PS. Read Mrk's reviews on Fedora and you will see why I prefer CentOS/SL http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...:9ywcyjt7g92&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fedora&sa=Search

Not much eyecandy except limited Compiz.....

SL6 Compiz.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. wearetheborg

I havent installed yet, waiting for someone to write a brief guide on which repos to enable, and some configuration tips :D

Regarding resources, when I booted it off the live CD, in gnome it took 276 processes..so not too sure about it being lightweight.

Compiz is eyecandy enough (what else would one want?). Eyecandywise my Ubuntu install has the same eyecandy as Debian+compiz.

BTW, does anyone know whether when a new version of Ubuntu comes out, then the previous versions are automatically forced to upgrade?

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

SL nice distro to have as default and day to day office work stability rock solid i agree if fuse with fedora 12 rpm we can have stability issues wait soon more repo's and software to come as free ;) i guss centOS repos also work here so soon we going to have a lot of database :D

as compiz ccsm i read some where its not stable on RHEL yet so i guss thats why they avoid it

RHEL main goal is stability no :D

i dont like eye candy all i want my main default distro to be lazy one which i once tweak and forget and sleep for a long time thats the only things i miss in fedora :D

8. mack_guy911

except repository and some software disappoint

hows your day to day experience so far with SL linux :D @ocky

right now i still on fedora 13 as default i wait to switch to SL till end of life of fedora 13 (ist time i really going to feel sad to format this distro as its so rock solid and everything work so perfect here) :'(

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It's nice enough, low on memory 368 MB with compiz 10 mins. after login, nothing opened.
    The 1st sshot shows the multimedia stuff I have installed so far. All working well except Audacity which is not compiled with mp3 file support.(I vastly prefer mhWaveEdit but no luck in compiling it.) One thing I have not been successful with is finding a compatible movie editor. Openshot requires mlt and apparently pygoocanvas. The rpmfusion repo which has mlt for fedoras does not connect so I removed it again.
    Bad is that Firefox has not yet been updated to 3.6.15 !!
    Second screenshot shows context menu with my usual 'shred' entry.

Sound Menu.png context menu.png

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hey Ocky,
    Sorry for not being here in the Linux section for the past few days to help out. I got all that compiz stuff going (ccsm, emerald, etc.) except for fusion-icon. I'll look at those files tomorrow, do a search for them on rpm-find, and post instructions and provide links.

My sister got a bad virus on her XP Home computer a few days ago (she was using Microsoft Security Essentials, btw) so she gave me a ring seeking help. I asked her to bring her Desktop tower down to my Dad's and I would pick it up and take a look at it for her. Being who she is (a computer illiterate...God love her) she proceeded to unhook the connections on the back side of the Desktop tower. When she got to the monitor connection she thought it would simply slip off (like the rest of the connections). Well, it didn't...so she decided that it was slightly stuck so she gave it a big yank. She pulled the motherboard video connector totally out of the back side of the computer. Luckily, the motherboard didn't crack but no easy way to put a new in (the solder points were on the bottom but the circuitry was on the top. Again, luckily, I had an old Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 agp card with 256 mbs of ram that I could put in along with some extra ram for her system and a second hard drive as a fat32 data disc (great for storing CloneZilla backups). For the last number of days I experimented with Lucid, XP Pro, and Windows 7 Pro to see which one would work best for her. Keep in mind she's simple. She wants to be able to go to sites she wants with as little hassle as possible. Lucid worked great but it wouldn't play MS Spider Solitaire in Wine (current version) without crashing so Linux was out. XP Pro worked great...but it IS XP and I don't trust it anymore. I had it set up great...Sandboxie, DefenseWall, SRP, and Avira AntiVir Personal 10.0.0.615. I decided to make a CloneZilla img and stored it on the second fat32 HD just in case she didn't like Win 7 Pro. Win 7 Pro installed fine and the Nvidia Geforce FX 5500, oddly enough, gave her Aero. I installed Sandboxie, AntiVir, and enabled SRP. I figured along with UAC on max she should be fine. I made another CloneZilla img...just in case. I'm a big believer in CloneZilla as you can tell. This whole process has taken DAYS!! I finally got everything to my satisfaction and ran her tower back to her this evening. I'm warped out and wore out...but she is my sister and I love her. But, between you and me, I'm sick of looking at computer screens...at least for now. ;). I need a vacation...or a good stiff bourbon and coke either one. I haven't kept up with any of my other interests at all for the past number of days. Well, that's my story.

Later...

Bob

11. mack_guy911

thanks ocky so far look great

as Trespasser got ccsm.....etc every thing so great news by the way

i try kde as well on live cd it look so so to me as kde is pretty old 4.3

mint 10 work great Trespasser go for that instead of ubuntu its looks and feel is like more like windows also some time we forget to install something in ubuntu thats hardly going to happen in mint case it it come up with so much on default

as per spider solitaire there are many i do have some issue playing some games in wine in ubuntu my self what i did it i download and install wine 1.3.16 and install

http://www.winehq.org/news/2011031801

(although its in beta but work awesome) and with help of gnome commander i give the file permission for user (before that i check it on virus total jotty scan ) now they are working awesome

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  12. Trespasser

OK. Here are direct links to the rpms you need to get emerald and compiz-config working in SL6.

Install them in the order that I have them listed. BTW, they're good links. I downloaded each one myself just a short while ago...

32 bit...
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....esting/12/i386/protobuf-2.3.0-1.fc12.i686.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....12/i386/libcompizconfig-0.8.2-8.fc12.i686.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....pizconfig-backend-gconf-0.8.2-3.fc12.i686.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....ges/compizconfig-python-0.8.2-2.fc12.i686.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....pdates/12/x86_64/ccsm-0.8.2-4.fc12.noarch.rpm
    http://hany.sk/mirror/fedora/releases/12/Everything/i386/os/Packages/emerald-0.8.2-2.fc12.i686.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....ckages/emerald-themes-0.5.2-4.fc12.noarch.rpm

64 bit...
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....ng/12/x86_64/protobuf-2.3.0-1.fc12.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....86_64/libcompizconfig-0.8.2-8.fc12.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....zconfig-backend-gconf-0.8.2-3.fc12.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....s/compizconfig-python-0.8.2-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....pdates/12/x86_64/ccsm-0.8.2-4.fc12.noarch.rpm
    http://hany.sk/mirror/fedora/releas...4/os/Packages/emerald-0.8.2-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive....ckages/emerald-themes-0.5.2-4.fc12.noarch.rpm

You may have noticed they're Fedora 12 packages but, don't worry, they'll install just fine.

Like I said before, I couldn't get fusion-icon to install (a dependency that I couldn't find) so you'll need to use Desktop Effects to turn compiz off and on. You could make a Desktop launcher for desktop-effects or you could do like I did and add a launcher in System Tools via alacarte.

Follow this link if you would like to install GnoMenu in SL6. The link contains both 32 and 64 bit versions...

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GnoMenu RPM fedora?content=128669

Hope this helps.

Later....

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for your unstinting perseverance - much appreciated.
    Do you by any chance know of a movie editor for SL 6 ? I tried to install Openshot but need 2 dependencies. They may be available from rpmfusion, but I could not connect to the repo last time I tried. Will have another look.
    Do you still have the link for abiword, from I think it was Princeton Uni repo. ?

Regards and take five from that (those) PC screen(s). :)

14. Trespasser

Ocky,
    The movie editor I have no idea about. I just use Devede to convert mkv or avi files to a DVD compatible format (maybe mkv to avi sometimes). As far as AbiWord is concerned, here is the repo and the key for puias which contains AbiWord.

Name it ...

puias-6-addons_2.repo

[PUIAS_6_addons_2]
    name=PUIAS addons Base $releasever - $basearch - 2
    #mirrorlist=http://www.puias.princeton.edu/data/puias/$releasever/$basearch/os/Addons/mirrorlist
    baseurl=http://www.math.ias.edu/data/puias/$releasever/$basearch/os/Addons
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-puias

And here's a link to the key...

http://www.math.ias.edu/data/puias/6/i386/os/RPM-GPG-KEY-puias

Right click on the link and choose Save Link As.

Place the key in /etc/pki/rpm-gpg

And, of course, place the repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d

Hope this helps.

Later...

15. Trespasser

Ocky,
    I forgot to mention one very important thing. When you go to install Abiword from puias disable other repos like rpmforge or atrpm. Some of the dependencies files for the AbiWord install are newer in rpmforge or atrpm but will give you errors should you allow them to be used. Just use puias and the SL6 repos during the install.

That's one thing I don't like about some of these rpm repos. You accidentally combine some of them and you got trouble. :thumbd: .

Hope this gets to you in time.

Later...

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, got it and all's well. Thanks again.

You might find this useful.

# yum --showduplicates list (shows available and installed packages)

Eg. yum --showduplicates list mplayer

# yum install yum-versionlock (will go to /etc/yum/pluginconf.d folder)

Usage eg. yum versionlock libdvdread-4.1.4-0.1.svn1183.fc12.x86_64

Also check my thread on Beesu nautilus scripts (very useful - saves a bit of time).

17. wearetheborg

This is not helping me have confidence in SL6 :(

Figuring out dependies, managing repos... ack

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Was surprised to see that there is no yum-updatesd.conf in the /etc/yum/ directory. I assume this has been superceded by yum-autoupdate in /etc/sysconfig. Is that correct ?

Edit:- Yes, the yum-autoupdate works perfectly - just received vlc latest.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  19. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hah, have installed my favourite movie editor Openshot on SL6. There are 32bit and 64bit fedora12 packages available for download http://www.openshot.org/download/
    but a number of dependencies not in the usual repositories for SL6 need to be installed first.
    If anyone is interested I will post the procedure.

Openshot SL6.jpg

20. Trespasser

Ocky,
    Please do. I'd like to see the procedure along with the links to the dependencies.

Thanks. :).

Later...

Bob

21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sure, Trespasser, but remember it is an older version of Openshot. For me it does all I need.
    great for making slideshows with music etc. etc. It is stable on my system.

Go to the CERN fedora 12 'Everything' page here. Download the following packages and
    install in this order:

goocanvas-0.14-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm
    (0.15 is in repos but don't use that one as not compatible with pygoocanvas 0.14 version)
    pygoocanvas-0.14.0-3.fc12.x86_64.rpm

From rpmfusion in this order:

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/12/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/mlt-python.html

mlt-python-0.4.6-2.fc12.x86_64

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/12/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/mlt.html

mlt-0.4.6-2.fc12.x86_64

mlt if I remember correctly will ask for sox and install it (from sl repo).

Install Openshot.

I have put a vesionlock on goocanvas 0.14 to prevent me inadvertently updating to 0.15.

BTW I have my repos setup with the priority plugin in such a way that I could theoretically enable all the repos and update/install without fear of disaster.

PS. The above packages are all for 64 bit. If you use 32 bit just look for the corresponding
    32 bit packages.

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

23. Trespasser

Great news, Ocky. Thanks for the link. I wonder if Troy Dawson is connected with it? I'll check it out. :).

Later...

24. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am thinking of registering on the Scientific Linux forum, but one of the requirements is ..
    This is not obligatory on Wilders for instance, and I am pretty sure that the few other forums
    I am registerd on also don't insist on this requirement.
    Is this a new law in USA ?

25. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Scientific Linux will be getting their own forum maybe tomorrow evening, when proboards one will be locked.
    http://scientificlinux.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=forum&thread=58&page=1#309

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.