Scientific Linux 6 Alpha 1 Released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Mack_Guy,
    A fellow named Dr. Urs Beyerle from the Institute of Atmospheric and Climate Science in Zurich, Switzerland has taken Scientific Linux 6 Alpha 3 (4.4+ gigs) and reduced it down to CD size in both 32 and 64 bit versions (670 and 679 mbs respectively). Gnome is the Desktop environment. I learned of him from the Scientific Linux mailing list which is where he announced this release. Here is the download link...

http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/download/testing/6alpha/

It doesn't come with an office suite, such as OpenOffice (you have to download it), but it does have Brasero, Totem, Thunderbird, Pidgin, XChat, Gnote, plus a few others. Selinux is enabled by default. It's a live CD which can be installed from a link on Desktop. The installer is just like the full version. I've tried both versions (32 - 64 bit) and they work great. I'm using the 64 bit version right now.

I've corresponded with him via a couple of emails and he plans to update these isos following the release tomorrow (January 7th) of Alpha 4 or Beta 1, whichever the case may be. He also plans to release a final version as well.

With reference to an office suite, I found a Princeton University repo that contains AbiWord 2.8.6, Gnumeric, VLC 1.1.5, plus a few other hard to find applications (plus their dependencies) for el6. I couldn't find a repo rpm for this site but I do have the yum.repos.d information plus GPG key which I can post should you wish.

I like this SL6 version because 4.4+ gigabytes versus approximately 700 mbs is a no brainer.

Later....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. mack_guy911

thanks Trespasser for very informatics useful inside news and link :))

i check your link :))

4. mack_guy911

Scientific Linux 6 Alpha 4 Released :))

5. mack_guy911

6. mack_guy911

just install alpha 3 in vbox so far look great it remind me of great fedora 12 which i love the most :D

i rather like to choose safe side and make epel repo last i get some porblem in ubuntu mixing it with debian repo dont want to see same mistake again here

so far to be honest i use only rpmfusion in fedora no other repo it serve to all to my needs

i found rpmfroge good and also adding atrm repo then i try epel in my virtual box they both look kinda ok to me

at end release i install only one repo to keep safe playing

so far any of you guys found yumex in any repo i didnt see it yet strange :'(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

On alpha 5 now..

8. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Urs Beyerle, that put out a CD sized version of SL6 Alpha 3 that I referenced in an above post, said in an email this morning that he'll release an Alpha 5 version the first part of this coming week. I recommend his CD versions. They take all updates available and work great. I've been using them for the past good while.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.