Schelduled scan runs multiple times

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rockshox, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

We are using NOD32 4.0.437 on 180+ clients along with ERA. We created a scheduled scan through an ERA policy to run a Computer Scan weekly at 12:00pm on Fridays. We have the scan setup to "Wait until the next scheduled time" if a computer is off when the scan is setup to take place.

Each Friday the scans seem to be kicking off correctly, however on a handful of the computers the scan will start twice and cause the system to be totally bogged down due to two scans running at the same time. This week 40 of 180ish computers ran double scans. Last week it was 2, the week before 37. The number of computers that run the double scan seems to be completely random. The odd thing is the machines that run the scheduled scans twice don't appear to be starting both scans at the same time. The second scan is offset anywhere from 8-24minutes (according to the Date Occurred field).

Anyone seen anything like this before?

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

3. rockshox

Richard - Thanks for the reply. We have installed 4.0.467 on several machines and will see if we get duplicate scans.

One question I did have, is there a way to upgrade from 4.0.437 to 4.0.467 without having to reboot in the middle? We use ERA and can send the remote uninstall, however it is making us reboot between the uninstall of 4.0.437 and the install of 4.0.467. When we switched from Symantec to ESET we used rip-and-replace through ERA to do a silent install of ESET without rebooting and without disturbing our users. Is there a way to upgrade ESET without rebooting and disturbing users?

4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello rockshox,

A restart is required. If possible, you can perform the upgrade when the client machines are not in use. Also, the following is our Knowledgebase article with the procedure for upgrading clients:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN714

Thanks,
    Richard

5. rockshox

Richard - Due to version four locking up our file servers multiple times now (quite a hassle when it's in the middle of a work day), we have removed ESET all together. The lockups seem to be identical to other people's here on the forums. RPC doesn't work, shares go down, can't login via the console but the computer still responds to ping. To top it off, one of our servers has a VM Ware instance running on top of the host operating system. The host operating system (with ESET version 4) will be completely locked up and we cannot do anything but hard reboot the system, but the VMWare instance is running fine and we can login remotely no problem.

Since we no longer trust ESET version 4 on our servers, I have installed version 3.0.694 on a test machine. I scheduled a weekly Smart Scan to run at 12:00pm (noon) on Fridays. The task is setup to run at the next scheduled time if it is missed. My test machine today started 6 separate scans bring the machine to a crawl. From what I can tell in the logs, each scan started EXACTLY 5 minutes apart. Our clients are setup to check in to the ERA server every 5 minutes. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not? Also, of the 6 scans, 5 out of 6 show a different number of files scanned, two of them show the same number were scanned. If I check the logs in ERA, each scan shows it ended at a different time.

Please let me know what information you need me to provide to solve this issue. I should be able to create a job task that runs once a week and does a smart scan on our computers, without ESET spawning multiple scans bringing the computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.