Scheduled Scanning Bug

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have one of my PC's at home (mainly used by others in the household) set to make a scheduled scan at 7.00pm each and every day, I have just noticed that it missed scanning yesterday (PC was not turned on), so when the machine was turned on, it started at 6.56pm.

The scheduled scan for tonight should have seen there was an existing scan in progress at 7.00pm, instead it ran an additional scan at the same time, slowing the computer incredibly for almost an hour... this was not discovered until I closed the Nod32 GUI, and found I had to click it twice, thought it was a error and checked the logs to see 2 scans had been run at the same time…

Scan performed at: 30/08/2004 18:56:51 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.852 (20040828 ) NT
    Command line: C:\ /clean /ah /all /subdir+ /heur+ /scanfile+ /scanboot+ /scroll+ /arch+ /pack+ /mapi- /pattern+ /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /heurdeep /log+ /prompt
    Operating memory - is OK

date: 30.8.2004 time: 18:56:56
    Scanned disks, directories and files: C:\

number of scanned files: 233711
    number of viruses found: 0
    time of completion: 19:48:54 total scanning time: 3118 sec (00:51:58 )

Scan performed at: 30/08/2004 19:00:53 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.852 (20040828 ) NT
    Command line: C:\ /clean /ah /all /subdir+ /heur+ /scanfile+ /scanboot+ /scroll+ /arch+ /pack+ /mapi- /pattern+ /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /heurdeep /log+ /prompt
    Operating memory - is OK

date: 30.8.2004 time: 19:01:06
    Scanned disks, directories and files: C:\

number of scanned files: 233710
    number of viruses found: 0
    time of completion: 19:41:51 total scanning time: 2445 sec (00:40:45)

Is there a work-around for this?

Cheers :D

2. Blackspear

Is there a workaround for this bug, or will it be fixed?

This is easy to reproduce...

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Do you have the option to perform the task as soon as possible selected on the second to last options page for the scan? It seems to me that is what happened, the scan from the day before ran as soon as it could, and the next one ran when it was scheduled. It is possible to start 2 on demand scans at the same time as well. Most AV's don't check if it is already running a scan when one starts. Or I should say I can do the same thing with Panda, I can schedule a scan to start and shortly after or before it starts do an on demand scan and both are running at the same time.

4. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

Maybe it is that new "hyper-speed-time-machine-scanner-core" that Eset use :D

5. Blackspear

This is correct, there should be a option to have it run once only in any given day...

6. Blackspear

If I go away for 10 days, I would have Nod32 starting 10 scans when I returned... Just glad I'm not going away for a month ;)

Will there be a fix for this Marcos or Jan?

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why are you using the command line scanning with all the switches? I thought that was unnecessary now as doesn't the "indepth analysis" button do all that?

8. Blackspear

This is for a "Scheduled" daily scan.

9. Blackspear

Is there a work around Marcos?

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The last set of options in the scheuled scan wizard are to set what it does if a scan is missed, I usually set scans to wait until the last scheduled instant.

I have noticed this happening with any scheduled task when there are any explorer compatibility issues with XP SP2. If you have the official Divx codecs unininstall them, I also found out that Spy Sweeper's context menu item can cause problems (in spysweeper it's the very first item in options), and it might also be worth it to go over the Microsoft affected programs list (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242)

There are some reports saying that some of the compatibility issues lie with the new Data Execution Prevention feature, if you need to you can disable this for specific programs by going into the system properties (quickest way is to hold down the Windows key and press the Break key), go to the "Advanced" tab, click "Settings" under "Performance", switch to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab and click the "Add" button and add any programs you think might be conflicting (until a patch is available for that program.)

11. Blackspear

I think I have answered my own question, I went back and had a look at the options available, the option I have circled in Blue, to me makes no sense, I could not get my head around the concept, so I thought I would have a try and see what it does.

When I Right Click on the Scheduled Task and choose "Details" the description as shown in the Red circled screenshot now makes sense...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.