scheduled scan keeps hanging on a particular exe file.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sag, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag

sag Registered Member

After many years of using Eset, it is now hanging on a particular program's exe file.
    I thought that this program file may be corrupt, however I when I double click on it, the program starts normally and runs.
    I went to Explorer and right clicked on the exe file and did an Eset manual scan and it would complete normally and very quickly...with no problems.
    I could simply exclude the exe file from the scheduled scan, but would rather not.
    Any ideas why this particular exe file is causing Eset to hang?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try excluding the file, just for a test, and let us know if it made a difference.

3. sag

sag Registered Member

I excluded the program file and re-ran the scheduled scan with no problems.
    o_O

Then I made up a "test" scheduled scan with only the program exe file being scanned...nothing else. When the scan started it got to 50% right away (like before) and then hung, like before. Very strange because I can go to the exe file in Explorer and do a manual scan and it scans the file within 10 seconds.
    o_O

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. Marcos

Could you please upload the file somewhere and pm me the link?

5. sag

sag Registered Member

Marcos:
    I'm afraid I can't do that. It is the executable file for one of my companies proprietary software programs that I have used for years.
    Eset has never had any problems with it in the past, until now.
    Sorry.
    SAG

6. sag

sag Registered Member

Marcos:
    Do you have any other suggestions or ideas? I'm stumped.
    By the way, I tried updating NOD32 to the latest version release thinking that would solve the issue, however I had to uninstall it and revert back to an earlier version. For some reason, the new version of NOD32 would hang on boot up. Event viewer confirmed that.

7. Marcos

Have you tried enabling pre-release updates in the advanced update setup to see if installing the latest modules make a difference?
    Failing this, try disabling anti-stealth and self-defense for testing purposes and restart the computer. Let us know if any of these hints helped.

8. sag

sag Registered Member

I put a check mark in the box like you suggested, but what does enabling pre-release updates feature do and how does that help my issue?
    If I allow pre-release updates does it update NOD32 with beta updates?
    Can this be easily undone if the updates don't go well?

update...after enabling pre-release updates, I ran a test scheduled scan of the troublesome program exe file. Same problem...the scan immediately hung on the file(the taskbar Icon shows that it it scanning when it isn't). I don't understand how this pre-release update effects the scanning problem. Am I mis-understanding something here?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. sag

sag Registered Member

OK, I enabled pre-release updates.
    I disabled anti-stealth and self-defense
    Restarted the computer and ran a scheduled Test Scan of the offending exe file with the same results. Hangs at approximately 50% of completed scan.
    Any other thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.