Scheduled On demand Computer Scan not working

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shansmi, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

Hi All,

I just switched over to ESS from AVG's ISS and like the change as it was very easy to get things working (WM6 device syncing with my PC, XBOX360 sharing video etc....) the one thing I have noticed is the scheduler does not work correctly. I installed the program at 1600 and ran a scan that took about an hour (AVG took 2) so I tweaked some parms and set the timer to about 15 minutes ahead of the current time and nothing happened. I set it for 30 mins ahead, again nothing happened. I deleted it and added a new daily scan and it worked twice but then I changed the times after making a few changes again... nothing happened. I have now created my 3rd daily scan after doing all my tweaks and am just going to let it run.

Anyone else having this problem?

o_O

2. shansmi

my new scanner is running as we speak. I'll let it run for a few days and reschedule it after playing with the settings some more.

3. OLDXTECH

OLDXTECH Registered Member

I have had problems with this also and have posted on this forum and send requests to ESET over the last several weeks. No one has solved my problem. The software seems to have a mind of its own. The best I came up with was to schedule a daily scan for 9:30 AM and leave every other parameter alone. It then tended to scan whenever I turned my cpu on in the AM - like 8 AM or whatever. It seems to have a built in or hidden tendency to wait another 24 hours or so for the next scan, although I have not told it as much. Maybe someday ESET will figure out what is going on. In the meantime, I at least get a scan done sometime during the day on most days. I have better things to do with my life. Otherwise, ESS seems to be just fine. Good luck.

4. shansmi

Updates from the last few days.....:D o_O :blink:

from 2/27.....

Well I just learned the “hung logfile” and the daily scanner issue are separate. On my PC the scanner is working fine at least as of the last scan but I noticed the logfiles were taking a long time to open on both machines from w/I ESS so I went back into the logfile directory to look at their sizes. Ouch!! They were 123MB each on my machine and the one file was 70MB on my second machine. I tried deleting them off both machines from w/I ESS and nothing happened. At that point I just deleted the raw files. On both machines, I went into the “on demand scan” config under setup and unchecked the log all files box and hit ok…I confirmed the settings change took by doing a edit on the defined daily scan but did a cancel at the last prompt so ESS should not see the defined scan has been changed…. We’ll see what happens at 0005 tomorrow morning….

from 2/26.....

I did a format and rebuild of my 2 machines to Vista Ultimate. I put the OS on them and let them boot and then did the basic config’s. I let the systems patch and then installed Office 2007. I let the systems patch again until all available updates were installed. At this point I installed ESS and set them up in the exact same manner using the Max config from the forums and put the firewalls in Interactive mode. All was going well – no issues. I launched all my applications letting the firewall learn everything – no problems with any services, Internet access or applications. I then configured the On Demand Daily can to run at 1205 AM on each machine by my profile and to run if missed since last execution was more than 1 hour ago…. Next I installed FrontPage 2003 and patched the system again. This series of patches required a reboot. After the reboot, a scan started on both machines – no big deal. At 1205 AM, the scheduled scan started on my machine with no problems but on my second machine it did not. I left it alone with the intention of waiting until the next execution time to see if it ran. I checked the logs on that machine to look at all the errors and did not see anything I had not seen before. Well, I just could not wait that long as it turns out….

I think something in the system is getting hung. I have seen the on demand logs getting hung where they cannot be deleted. They can be viewed but if you choose delete or delete all nothing happens. What I had to do is “Show hidden Files and Folders” in the folder properties in order to see the “C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Logs” directory. Within that folder are all the logs. By choosing properties of each file you can find the file that correlates to the hung logfile by its date. Then you can delete the file and it disappears from the log window of ESS. I also deleted the daily scan and added it back…..we’ll see what happens at the next scheduled time…..

from 2/24.....

The daily scan is working as long as it is defined and unchanged. If you define a daily scan and then go back in and change the time of execution, it stops working all together then it has to be deleted and another added. This is the same in 3.0.642 as well as 3.0.641 ….. I have two Vista machines doing this (one is Business and the second is Ultimate).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.