scheduled Clean not Scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by justsomeguy, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Registered Member

Can someone point me in the right direction. I'm kinda new to NOD.

When I setup a shedule to scan my computer it only does a scan and when an infection is found it only logs it. I don't get any dialog box or such letting me know something was found, I have to remember to examine the log everytime. I would like to be able to schedue a clean so that when an infection is found it will automatically prompt me for an action to take.

Thanks for any help

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello,
    Run NOD32 scanner from control center or the start menu, and in the main screen select actions and later select desinfect or the option that you like. Close the NOD32 scanner and save the changes.
    Later in the control center modify or add a NOD scan and use the same Profile that you use for Scan (The same profile that have the action/desinfect selected).
    Best regards,

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have NO32 On Demand scanner set to scan weekly using my profile. In this profile I have actions set as follows:

When virus is found:
    notify/ask what to do
    quarantine

The help file says: The Scanning Log is displayed after running the on-demand scanner.

But I never see the Scanning Log after a weekly scheduled scan. It should be sitting there on my desktop when I first get on the computer after the scan during the night. My computer is never turned off so the results should be sitting there. They would be for any other av I have used. Instead, like justsomeguy, I too have to remember to check the log! There is nothing to indicate after a weekly scan is run, while I am sleeping, that a scan took place or any results of said scan. I have a terrible time remembering to call up the log to see the results. Consequently, I stopped doing weekly scheduled scans.

What does the help file mean since there is no display of the scanning log after a weekly scheduled scan? I know that if I were to open the on demand scanner right now and scan now that when it is finished I would see the scan log so I guess that is what the help file is referring to? Why isn't there any notification of results after a weekly scheduled scan?

4. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

The scheduled scans aren't executed as the currently logged in user, so there will be no interaction with the desktop. In order to get what you want, I suggest you schedule it using the built in task scheduler of Windows instead. Tell it to execute nod32.exe.

You will probably want this command line:
    nod32.exe /config=NAMEOFPROFILE /prompt c:\

Best regards,
    Anders

5. Kym

Kym Registered Member

This is not what you are after I think, but you could also check under Nod System setup ~ Advanced. have a look and see if "Automatically Close Windows After" is ticked. Used to drive me crazy start a scan, come back later and nothing showing on screen to say what had happened.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you both!

Anders, yes Windows task scheduler is probably what I want. I had sort of forgotten about it! Other av I have used let you set Windows task scheduler from the av window. They make it real easy, whereas, with NOD it is a bit more involved. I ran the wizard and it claims all I need in the command line is nod32.exe....I scheduled it for 6AM this morning so we'll see. If that doesn't work then I will use your command line. Thanks for that. You know though, I have W98SE and am not a logged in user like I would be in XP. I don't log in at all on this box. So, I don't really understand why NOD doesn't interact with the desktop at least on W98SE. But the important thing is getting it to do it which Windows scheduler should accomplish.

Kym, I did have the "close windows automatically" after 300 seconds checked. I unticked it because even if that is not what I wanted here...I still need that unticked in case I were to run an on demand scan and leave the room while it was running and when I came back the screen would be gone if the scan had finished and 300 seconds had passed.
    So, I thank you for that tip.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I cannot get NOD32 to do a scheduled scan using Windows scheduler. The Wizard said all I needed to put in the command line was "nod32.exe". However, all that did was get the on demand scanner to open and scan the operating memory and then it did not scan the C drive which is what I have it set to do in My Profile.

Last night I edited the command line in the wizard and told Windows scheduler to use Anders suggestion:
    nod32.exe /config=NAMEOFPROFILE /prompt c:\

This did not work either. Windows Scheduler said it could NOT begin the task.

So how do I set up Windows Scheduler to run a weekly scan? I hate to say this, but it is this very sort of sloppy, vague way of doing things that makes me want to go back to an av that is put together better. I don't know how to write code and I don't think I should need to know anything like that in order to use my av!!! Any other av I have used sets up instantly and correctly when using Windows Scheduler. The interaction is usually within the av with no need to even open Windows Scheduler. Certainly, I have never run accross an av before that is so difficult to use! That is still my only complaint, but it is a big one, about NOD32. Version 2 GUI is much improved, but it is still somewhat crude compared to other av I have used. It should be a very simple thing to set up the av to run a weekly scheduled scan and have the results open on the desktop when one wakes up in the morning and gets on the computer. I easily set up at least 4 other avs I have used to do this ...why is NOD32 so difficult in this respect?

8. anders

Did you browse to "nod32.exe"? You will probably need the full path to it, for example: c:\program files\eset\nod32.exe

Also, replace "NAMEOFPROFILE" with a profile name in nod32.. If you don't want any "special" settings, you can remove the /cfg=xxxxx part.

The scheduler in NOD32 is made for scheduling non-interactive tasks (that's what a scheduler should do ;), and also, in the NT-world, it's designed to work in a multiuser environment, where a non-administrator is logged in.

Best regards,
    Anders

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. I didn't have the full path, but I did have a profile name (My Profile). So, I have set it again after having Windows Task Scheduler wizard freeze three times and require a reboot each time. :(

You know, I have the W98 version of NOD32 so your remarks about NT are irrelevant in this context or is this version of NOD actually an NT version? I don't have to worry about all that administrator junk. I still say that it is this sort of disregard for the average user that keeps so many people from not even trying NOD32. I would never recommend it to most of my friends. They would be totally lost. We all want the ease of NAV, McAfee, PC-Cillin, etc. GUIs along with the excellence and light footprint of NOD32. I don't care what excuses you give....this should be a very simple thing to do and it is very simple with all other av I have used. A main reason I use NOD32 is because it is the best suited of all av for W98 so why are you bringing up excuses that have to do with NT based OSes? I may very well not use NOD32 on my new box that will have XP as it will be powerful and can take something like KAV if I decide I would like that.

I do appreciate your help, but I should not have to spend all this time doing something that most any other av would set up in a second. So, I am frustrated and irritated. :) I am not at all sure I have it set correctly this time either. We'll see. (And this is only one of many things that are way too difficult to do in NOD32- Rescue Disk is another).

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I still cannot get NOD32 to do a scheduled scan using Windows Task Scheduler. This is the command line:
    Run in:
    c:\program files\eset\nod32.exe/config=MY PROFILE /prompt c:\
    Start in:
    C:\PROGRA~1\ESET

Windows Scheduler simply reports that it could not start NOD32.

How do I fix this?

11. anders

You need a space between the file path and the parameters (before "/config").

Also, since your profile name contains a space, you will need to put it in quotes. The following should work for you (copy+paste):

"c:\program files\eset\nod32.exe" "/config=MY PROFILE" /prompt c:\

Best regards,
    Anders

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, this works! Except for one strange thing. When NOD32 performs a scan using the command line you gave me, it reports 7 viruses with 5 of them as "active"! None of these are active. Four are zipped in the trash bin which I haven't emptied because it has some other files I am making sure I can do without before emptying. Of the other three, one is the eicar test, and the other two are corrupt KlezE midi files (one zipped) one not and I have them saved for a reason. So, I know I don't have any "active" viruses!

If I run an on demand scan using the same profile, but I command the scan rather than Windows scheduler, so I am not using your command line, then the results are seven viruses found but NOTHING about any of them being "active". So what gives? Why the difference in the reports?

I would post an attachment of each of these reports, but this software leaves much to be desired! I could easily post these jpegs at other boards but here ...I get an error that the file is too large! It is only 141KB! I don't know how to make it smaller.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The above post has never been answered. Now I have another related problem. When the scan is run from Windows Scheduler using the command line given me by Anders, the profile used by NOD32 is NOT "my profile". It uses instead the profile I have for "scanning objects from within the context menu". This profile I have set to: If a virus is found: notify/offer action and quarantine.

I don't want this profile for scanning while I am sleeping as the moment a virus is found ...like Eicar..the scanner stops and waits for me to take action. I want the scheduled weekly scan to use
    my profile" instead which is set to do nothing if a virus is found.

I have a second problem with Windows scheduler. It claims that the only scheduled task for NOD32 is for it to scan weekly using "myprofile" (but it doesn't use that profile as noted above) at 10:40PM on Sunday night. However, NOD32 is also running a weekly scan on Sunday morning at 7AM and this scan does use "my profile"! This task is NOT listed in Windows scheduler but it shows up in the NOD32 logs. It is the one I originally set (except I set it for 6AM not 7AM when it runs) and it didn't put the results on the desktop. So Anders gave me a different command to use which would put the results on the desktop. I deleted this task, but somehow it still runs even though it is not listed in Window Scheduler.

What is worse, NEITHER of these scans puts a window on my desktop when finished showing the scan results. That is what I MUST have! I have never seen an antivirus program that is impossible to get to do a weekly scheduled scan and have the scan sitting on the desktop when finished except NOD32! This has gotten ridiculous the amount of time I have spent trying to get this simple thing to work correctly. All other av I have used would schedule the weekly scan automatically for me, with no problems, and would put the results on the desktop for my perusal the next morning. Why doesn't NOD32 do this?

I have a third problem with setting a weekly scan. This is what I mentioned in the above post that no one responded to. The weekly scan run using "c:\program files\eset\nod32.exe" "/config=MY PROFILE" /prompt c:\ reports 7 viruses and says 5 of them are "active". That is NOT correct. Why is it doing this? The other scan that runs at 7AM uses this: Command line: /config=My Profile and it finds 7 viruses but says nothing about any of them being "active". This is the correct scan as none of them are "active" as I explained in the post above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.