Schedule

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nixie21, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I am trying to set up a schedule, it keeps saying invalid username or password, no user on my computer has a password....what can i do? Thanks

also I just disables diskkeeper and installed perfect disc 8, any tips i should know?

Thanks as always

2. nixie21

Well, I just changed the user name to just the computer name and the schedule went through!!!

Any tips of PD8?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nixie

One thing you want to be careful of is not having FDISR and PD running at the same time. It can result in copy errors in FDISR. Honestly I do both manually, but that's just me.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Me too and my tests in the past, published in this forum, proved that running PD caused errors during the copy/update, which is also logical. I'm not going to ditch FDISR, just because automatic defragging isn't possible anymore.

5. ErikAlbert

Nixie, did you still have to use a password after using the computer name ?

6. nixie21

No, no password...

SO, I should disable the PD8 and just run it when I need it? How often do you run it?

How do i know if I have a error? I was able to boot to the snapshot I just created...

Thanks

You mean stop the PD8 processes at startup? shutdown ISR during a defrag?

7. ErikAlbert

When you copy/update for instance you have to expand the processing screen and then you will see the second part of the processing screen and that's where you can see the errors:0 or more. LOL

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't stop any of the services running. I just don't use schedules, in either program. I generally do the defrag just prior to imaging the system. How often that is just depends on what I am doing. I do update my FDISR archives daily, but I do it manually as it is so quick.

Pete

9. nixie21

Ok i see!!! So there is no harm as long as the defrag schedule and fdisr schedule to not run at the same time...right?

Thanks

10. ErikAlbert

That's right, but always defrag on demand, not with schedules.
    Use smartplacement defrag, which is the better one.
    How many times you have to run a defragger, I don't know.
    I try to do it once a month, because I don't like defragging. It's quite boring. :)

11. ErikAlbert

Nixie,
    The main problem with schedules in FDISR, is that they have to run on a specific hour and not on demand.
    My computer is not always ON at that specific hour and that's why I don't use them.
    I'm waiting until FDISR allows schedules on demand, just like Acronis TI.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Nixie21's original question wasn't answered as he had his own work arounf. I attempted to set up a schedule and had the same problem. I am the only user, and didn't set up a password when I set up my computer. FDISR automatically inserted an ID but I still have to provide a password. Any ideas?

13. nixie21

Did you try what worked for me?

it says user: computername\username

I changed the name to just computername and no password.

hope this helps!

14. ErikAlbert

Yes it should work like nixie described. I checked it a few days ago based on nixie's experience.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have tried every combo but nothing works. When Nixie says computer name, could he be more specific? Like I said, FDISR automatically inserted my computer service tag number and my name where it says ID. But that doesn't fly by itself, or DELL4600, or any other product number, much less a password.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Could it be because I'm using a trial copy?

17. nixie21

so it looks like

servicetag#\yourname

change it to just servicetag# (remove \yourname)

HTH

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

nixie21, Didn't work. I checked in my systems folder, and the computer ID number/my name is the account ID, which is why FD inserts it in the ID space. It won't fly alone. It wants a password. As I said, I didn't create one when I set up the computer because only I use it. I'm not going to create one and have to sign in every time I use my computer just so I can schedule updates.

19. ErikAlbert

Did you remove the slash between the computer ID number and your name as well (and without password) ?
    I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with being a trial version. Maybe it is a Dell-thingy.

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

What does it say when you right-click the my computer icon, properties, and then the computer name tab?

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Stapp, It says the same ID I've been typing in. I contacted Raxco support, and they tell me I require a password and I should Go to control panel and create a password. That would mean I'd have to sign in to my own computer as an only user everytime I boot up, just so I can schedule FD.o_O

22. ErikAlbert

Schedules are the WORST part of FDISR, they aren't convenient enough.
    Remove the computer name/user name, remove the password and add schedules on demand and then everybody can use them at free will. A good example of doing it right are the schedules of Acronis True Image.
    Nobody talks about schedules in this forum, because of this.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ErikAlbert, I normally don't uses schedules because half the time my computer is off when it's time to do a scheduled whatever, and the rest of the time it will start while I'm in the middle of something. I just wanted to go through it as I'm teaching myself the app. I can understand why they include the extra security measure of a password, but I don't know why it can't be a password dedicated to the schedule, like we use for the Wilders forum.:)

24. ErikAlbert

I would like to use schedules in FDISR and I miss it because I can't use them.
    My computer is never ON to run schedules automatically, but I would like to have schedules on demand.
    I don't like to choose my source and destination snapshot, when they are always the same and I can make mistakes. In a schedule you can store the source and destination snapshot to avoid these mistakes.
    I only have to click on the schedule and the job is safely executed.
    I don't like to waste my time on routine jobs, but some users like to do this manually, why I don't know.

For the computer name, username and password, make it optional and you satisfy EVERYONE.

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I don't sign in at boot time and I am the only user.

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/XP_Skip_Login.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.