Scared to use Bleachbit but it deletes 'evercookies'

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Some recent threads on Wilders have been discussing the dangers of flash LSO files and how they can best be removed or be prevented from installing.
    The Firefox add-on 'Better Privacy' is recommended but this only removes/prevents LSO*and apparently not 'evercookies'
    Bleachbit however removes both. As I am afraid of it I would restrict myself to only removing
    the files under the Flash section and nothing else at this stage.
    Basically I would like to know whether I should bother with Bleachbit or rather try the 'Better Privacy' add-on (which I hope doesn't conflict with NoScript) at the cost of it not being able to nuke 'evercookies'.

BTW. Why do folks have so many LSO files ? I have checked in .macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/HDK8TTC3 and there is nothing there.
    This location does have a few folders containing .sol files but most are empty .macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

Edit: Here a link showing methods to remove flash cookies .sol (not LSO). http://sazeit.com/main/command-line-flash-cookie-how-to

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. tlu

tlu Guest

With the FF extensions Noscript, Cookie Monster (cookies disabled by default) and BetterPrivacy I'm not too worried. They work together well. If you want to use Bleachbit it offers a preview that shows what would be deleted. I would make a copy of my profile before usage - just in case ...;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I use both Better Privacy and Bleachbit with no problem. I use to use Privacy + in Firefox 3.6.*, and prefer it to Better Privacy, but it's not available in Firefox 4.0 (from the ppa in Ubuntu Lucid).

There's also a Bleachbit Bonus package for both deb and rpm distros which you can download from the Bleachbit Home site. It deletes old log files plus a bunch of other stuff. I use it all the time.

Side note....right now I'm using the latest daily-build of Natty (11.04) on my laptop (Nvidia 9300 GS graphics card...the new Nvidia driver works fine) and I must say it has improved immensely since the last time I tried it. Given time Unity might be OK. It's definitely different.

Later...

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK thanks, have installed Better Privacy and as you say it runs just fine with NoScript.
    BUT what about those 'evercookies' ? are they a real threat or still a concept - they can use LSO's amongst several other ways to replant previously deleted cookies and LSOs ?

@Trespasser

Unity 3d or Gnome 2 ? Have you abandoned SL 6 ?

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Evercookie is simply traditional cookie + dom storage + flash storage + html5 storage techniques and a bit a javascript that attempts to maintain each of them if one is deleted.

A simple script running as a browser addon to scramble the variables used by the evercookie javascript would render it useless.

6. Sevens

Sevens Guest

I trust Bleachbit completely on windows. I haven't installed Ccleaner for ages.I have not tried the wipe free space option. But use everything else with very good results.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Who could explain them better than their inventor? :D

I don't know if they are widely used - but I guess they are since they are an intriguing concept for curious websites.;)

BTW: BetterPrivacy also deletes DOM cookies periodically not only flash cookies.

I forgot to mention that I also use the EasyPrivacy subscription in AdblockPlus (in addition to Easylist). Highly recommended.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

BleachBit works fine on my Ubuntu Maverick netbook.
    It helps clear up space for my small SSD with no issues so far. Even sped up my system when I was using Lucid.

9. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I use bleachbit on Ubuntu 10.04 and have no problems with it. I also recall reading an interview with the evercookie creator where he claimed that noscript would defeat the placing of the cookie.

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks to all for your links and info. :)

That's interesting steve161, in other words if you have recalled correctly, there is no real need for Bleachbit if one wants to purely use it to get rid of those 'evercookies' notwithstanding it's other cleaning abilities.
    Anyway I now have it as well as Better Privacy - thanks.

11. Trespasser

Unity 3D. And, no, I haven't totally set aside SL6. I think I have a CloneZilla image of it for my HP laptop around here somewhere. ;). No, seriously, I'm just trying the latest Natty because I read the new Nvidia driver was working. I wanted to see if my "Natty experience" improved at all since the last time I tried it...and it did.

Later...

Bob

12. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i use bleachbit in fedora and ubuntu both no trouble at all but then i dont delete every thing i use it only for clearing browers and some cache junks ......etc not atp/rpm unless i have problem

i also some times run it as root as well it save lot of my disk space clean lots of log files history thumb..........

hmmm no problem using it :D save lot of space

but if play safe then chose wisely and clean what necessary according you and dont use root cleaning :D

13. tlu

tlu Guest

One problem I see is that this means that, e.g., all of your cookies are deleted even the ones that you deliberately allowed with your cookie manager. That's why I prefer preventing cookies beforehand instead of deleting them afterwards. (BTW: I'm using the FF extension Cookie Monster)

14. Trespasser

That's what I use, as well. The dude who created Cookie Monster asked me to be a beta tester for his proposed updates. I agreed but haven't heard from him since. But, of course, he hasn't updated Cookie Monster since then either. It still stands at version 1.0.5.

BTW, I uncheck cookies is Bleachbit when I do a cleaning. Don't want to tempt fate. :).

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.