Scans Hang Up at 69%

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ckag, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckag

ckag Registered Member

I've been using NOD32 v3 on my XP SP3 desktop and HP Vista Home Premium laptop for a while now without problems. I finally got aroudn to upgrading from v3 to v4. V4.0.424 works okay on my XP machine but when I try to do a manual scan on my Vista laptop, it hangs at 69%. At that point, I'm locked up and the only way out is to drop the battery out of the laptop. The installation is "Typical". It also happens on a Custom Scan.

Any ideas?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you run the same scan with ecls.exe from the ESET install folder to see if it makes a difference? Isn't it possible to turn off the laptop by pressing and holding the power button if the system becomes unresponsive? This shouldn't be a consequence of a frozen scan, at least you should be able to open the task manager and restart the computer via it.

3. ckag

ckag Registered Member

>> Could you run the same scan with ecls.exe from the ESET install folder to see if it makes a difference? <<

I restored my system from an image backup. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll re-install v4.0.424 and give ecls.exe a shot.

>> at least you should be able to open the task manager <<

No, the Task Manager wouldn't respond at all. I did try the power button to no avail, but perhaps I didn't hold it long enough. As above, I'll double-check that tomorrow if I get a chance to re-install v4.0.424.

4. ckag

ckag Registered Member

As an aside, what is supposed to happen when you run ecls.exe? Is that the actual scanner?

I ask because out of curiousity, I tried to run ecls.exe on my XP machine. Nothing happened. The screen flickered in that the outline of a window popped open and immediately disappeared again. That was it.

5. ckag

ckag Registered Member

Re: Vista laptop and 424

I re-installed 424 from scratch today on my Vista laptop. I tried to run ecls.exe both via Start | Run and just double-clicking on it, but nothing happened (the same as on my XP machine above). The border of a window popped up momentarily and then disappeared.

I then tried to run a manual scan again and it hung at 70%. I could not get into Task Manager. I was able to shut down the laptop by holding down the power button (it just took longer than I expected).

I am currently restoring my system back to a previous position (using v3) from an image backup.

6. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Simply running ecls.exe will not do anything, you need to pass it some arguments so it knows what to scan.

'ecls.exe c:\' would be the quick and dirty method of doing it, but you could also look at the availible options under 'ecls --help'.

7. ckag

ckag Registered Member

>> 'ecls.exe c:\' would be the quick and dirty method of doing it, <<

Okay.. Perhaps this weekend I'll have a change to reinstall v4 again on the Vista laptop and give ecls.exe a shot. No time tonite or tomorrow.

8. ckag

ckag Registered Member

Okay, I made the time again and reinstalled 424 again. I then ran "ecls c:\" from the command prompt (Start | Run | Cmd). It hung just like running it from the GUI. I can't say where it hung since the command version doesn't report percentages as it's working, but I let it run for 2 hrs and it never completed.

I guess I should add that these last couple of installs of 424 were done after doing the manual uninstall including removing the cited registry keys.

Also, if it makes a difference, the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo (2Ghz).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.