scans are quite fast

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by WSFuser, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I just completed a scan of my C: (10.4gb used) and F: (35.6gb used) drives and it took only 6 minutes. Thats pretty damn fast if ask me.

Did I miss some setting or is everyone else getting fast scans too?

2. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

My scans also take less time with ESS than with NOD32. Would also like to know whether this is an intentional improvement and how it could be accomplished (especially seeing programs like KAV becomming slower and slower with every version and new scan methods added).

3. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

WSFuser, I think this is quite not right. Even if NOD is really fast, scanning ~46 GB of data in 6 minutes just seem too fast. I don't even think it's possible with current hardware, except if the files are only archives that ESSwon't unpack, or something alike. Could you, in the scan log/report, check how much files were scanned ?

Abeltje, there is always place for improvement ;) even if NOD was already very fast compared to -say- the product you named. However, I won't enter into details about it since it's not the topic here, but K-- versions are on the opposite, faster (at least on my machine) with each version I used (6 faster than 5, and 7 faster than 6). So I guess it depends on configurations, etc.

4. WSFuser

that was my first thought too.

Well my first scan was 80972 files in 6 minutes 17 seconds and my second scan was 81015 files in 7 minutes 44 seconds.

I can understand that my F drive would be scanned fast as it mostly has videos, music, and pictures with some installers scattered about. But it also scanned my C: drive which has my programs and Windows.

5. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Mmmh depending on the number of applications you may have installed, this may be right after all... I know my laptop only has ~35 GB of data on it, and takes 1hour to scan ~550 000 files. So, it's possible that, if there are so few files scanned, the scan completes as it should in a few minutes, provided your computer is faster than mine, which is probably the case.

The thing is, ~80 000 files seems few to me, but if you do not have many applications installed (unlike me, who has both development, design and 3D software) it could be a realistic number.

6. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    WSFuser PC = Speed :) :) :) :) :)
    LOL
    Did you use Smart Scan or Indepth Scan?
    Did you use foreground or background scan?
    Here are my stats
    C: drive has OS, PF but no data (some music files)
    Used space = 12GB
    Files scanned = 42149
    Smart Scan in foreground
    No user operations conducted during the scan.
    Time = 18.08 mins.
    Yup... your PC is much faster than mine (everthing is faster than mine) .. lol :D
    Cheers :) :) :)

7. WSFuser

I used the indepth scan and it was run in the foreground.

As for my two-year old PC, its not a extreme speed demon or anything. Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.5Ghz and my hard disk is just a 160GB SATA. The hard disk is new but I dont know if it seriously could cause such decrease in scan speed.

as long as the speed increase is due to improvement and not bugs or something, im happy. good job with the new security suite ESET :thumb:

8. de jean

de jean Registered Member

i scanned my c, it's 40 gigs and 22 in use, took 24 minutes for an indepth scan ... reasonable i guess ( P4 @ 2.4 )

9. vapor

vapor Registered Member

Just installed ESS beta and am running a scan. about 40 gigs to scan. I'm at 2hrs 30 mins and it's still chugging away. I clicked to have it check program files during the install and it seems to be taking a huge amount of time doing this. In my advanced settings "Enable detection of application modifications" is ticked. Any suggestions on whether that's necessary...

FYI, it tagged and I deleted 4 or 5 from Thunderbird app and I now see some emails messages that were in my inbox are missing.

Also, anyone know the difference between a regular in-depth scan and a "smart" scan?

Thanks....

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is necessary . According to the help file , this a new feauture from ESET , should be very helpful

11. vapor

vapor Registered Member

ok - here's the final tally:
    5/27/2007 3:41:43 PM Number of scanned files: 507852
    took 3.5 hours.

So a few questions at this point since I've never used NOD32 before:

1) Seems I'm breaking records for long scan times here. Is there something I have set incorrectly or is this typical for this number of files?

2) What's the difference between and "In-depth scan" and a "smart scan"?

3) I added a weekly "on-demand" scan in my scheduler, and chose in-depth, so I'm assuming I can expect it to take about 3+ hours for these scans - or does ESS only scan new or changed files in the future?

12. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

Do you have any other security apps running during the scans? My own experience with Nod32 and Spysweeper (for example) is that SS can use significant CPU time and can cause long scan times when doing an "in-depth" Nod32 scan. It has no effect during a normal "on-demand" scan.

13. vapor

vapor Registered Member

No - nothing else running at the time.

2.2 gHz Intel Processor w/ 1 Gig ram. Noticed when it's scanning my Java program files it will take 15+ minutes to scan a lib folder. That seems odd.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.