Scanning a single file - never get a result, scan never says when it's over

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by rie, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rie

rie Registered Member

I hope TDS-4 will do this. This is one of my biggest concerns with TDS 3.

When I do the right-click menu scan of single files with TDS 3 (like a downloaded program file, or a file received from someone), it never indicates ANY scan result, ever. It doesn't say "File clean," it doesn't say "Scan indicates trojan present!!," it doesn't even say "Scan Concluded"!!! All is ever says is "SCANNING"...forever...until I close the TDS program (and I've given it a good long time!) It stays that way for 5 minutes..keep waiting..10 minutes..keep waiting..30 minutes...keep waiting forever. There is never an answer or any sign the scan is over on a single-file scan. I assume the scan stops at some point but I'd never know it. I really only HOPE that it doesn't contain a trojan, because after 15 minutes of getting nothing from TDS, I'm ready to open the file already!

My Norton scans take 2 seconds, my Cleaner scans take 2 seconds. I'm not complaining that TDS takes longer (how long? - no one knows!), but that they produce NO results of the scan, or tell you at least it's concluded! If it would at least tell me the scan was finished, I could assume since I see no Alarm that the file is alright. But no, it will say "Scanning..." for as long as you leave TDS running, you could leave it open all day and 24 hours later it will still say "Scanning..."! As if it's been scanning that one file and is still hard at work scanning it 24 hours later. I always just end up closing it, and I never know for sure. I rely on The Cleaner for scanning of individual files, why should I have to do that, I'd rather trust TDS 3! Just hoping TDS 4 will give me a little more peace of mind in this department. Does anyone know?

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Rie,

Here W 98 SE.
    At the moment (just for the testing) resident BOClean, NOD32, and some other programs, on an old slow machine.

Then I right click on :
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Aware.exe

and I choose to scan that file with TDS-3.
    TDS-3 starts up, doing its initial scans.
    BTW: I myself have chosen NOT to let TDS-3 do an automatically "process Memory Space Scan" (I run that scan manually by TDS-3; it is a very important part of TDS-3).

What does TDS-3 tell me?

03:05:25 [File Scan] Scanning file C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Aware.exe

If there is no infection detected by TDS-3 on that file, there comes no warning. And indeed, I didn't get a warning (no surprise ;) ).

Which OS are you running? Which other resident programs (AV's)?
    Would things change for you in case you choose to do the "Process Memory Space Scan" manually in case of automatically?

3. rie

rie Registered Member

I used to have 98 SE and now have XP Home. Yes, that's exactly what I got on 98 SE and exactly what I get now with XP. The never-ending scan.

It's not that I'm upset because I don't get a warning or alarm!, I'm confused because it never indicates when the scan is done, like every program I've ever seen does. Am I supposed to estimate how long the scan takes? Can I close it after a minute? Thirty seconds? Five minutes? Four seconds? Who knows! It just keeps saying "Scanning...(file name)", so to me, that means no decision has been made on whether to sound an alarm or not. Does yours say "Scanning..." even up to the point when you close it, assuming it's done? How long do you give it and how did you decide that amount of time was sufficient and you could close it?

I use NIS 2004, but have used other things, they don't affect the TDS scan console.

I know about the process scan, I'm fine with that, it doesn't take too long. I can't answer your last question and have to ask YOU - if I stopped the process scan thing, WOULD the individual-file scan tell me when it's done? I don't know!

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The scan indication SHOULD change to "scanner ready" and yes everything will be very different in TDS-4. Try the VB6SP6 Runtime Update from Microsoft, listed at http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

A single file scan should never take more than 2 seconds, if nothing was detected and all heuristic rules were applied one by one :)

5. rie

rie Registered Member

It never changes to "Scanner Ready" and when I had my old 98 SE, it didn't, either (see below for description of what console looks like). A search in my computer shows I already had that file you linked to, I have version 6.0.92.37. The one I just unzipped is not newer, it was version 6.0.84.95, so I should NOT replace what I already have?

I'm happy TDS 4 will display ther results more clearly for me.

Once it starts scanning the individual file, I never see "Scanner Ready." The bottom part of the console goes away (usually it's divided into a top and a bottom part) and the last notation on the TDS list is "File scan: Scanning...file name (file location)." It never changes to anything else and never goes away. The screen divider with the little rectangle thing that usually says "Scanner ready" in red writing isn't there and never comes back. The bottom portion never comes back. I just had it scan a file, and I did see it finally add a notation 14 minutes later that says "Good Morning" but usually it never says anything further, and it doesn't say anything about the file it's still supposedly scanning. It still says "scanning..."!
    "Scanning...file name" would remain like for hours, days! It's always been like this, throughout the whole time I had it on 98, and for the whole last year on XP.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have found the same on my XP Pro computer but never took note if it said 'scanner ready' I just waited for a result to tell me all was well (or not) I stopped right click scan with TDS as I really didn't know what I should be seeing and how long to leave the scan after right click. I am relieved to read this post as it confirms to me that there was nothing wrong with the file or TDS itself.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Dont update the newer file, but DO install the Service Pack 6 update from Microsoft. If it finds any newer file it will ask to overwrite and you should choose no and keep the newer file.

This might help, usually TDS should show its scanning status correctly. Glad to have helped with the information anyway ! :)

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Here is part of a screenshot of my TDS-3, scanning that Ad-Aware file through a right-click-scan (Note: I have deleted some personal stuff).

I don't see a "scanner ready" notice...

Attached Files:

9. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I know my machine is clean when TDS 3 doesn't bring up any info in the lower window but I would have to give DCS a slap on the wrists for leaving out something as important as that. What would it take to program a small script into TDS 3 and send it through daily updateso_O Had years to do it so time shouldn't be the issue.

It looks like everything was shelved because of the decision to make TDS 4 but will that be out before the next Olympics?? An Olympics will come and go, the Taliban and Saddam have gone as well as the WTC & we'll have a new government soon and I just turned 50 and am getting grey hairs and still no sign of WG4 or TDS 4.

Maybe it's a myth??

PS: This is just a bit of tongue in cheek sarcastic humour so please don't be offended.

Dave

10. I guess so far TDS-3 is done by 3DRealms and it's running the duke nukem forever engine to scan the files. It needs a few more tweaks when the program hits...so it will be soon. :)

BTW 3drealms just updated their site so I guess they are not dead YET. :)

cheers,:)

11. imeant

imeant Guest

^^^^ I meant TDS 4

12. rie

rie Registered Member

FanJ, your screenshot says "Test finished." Is that for the single-file scan of Lavasoft? Mine never does that. If it was mine, it would always say "Scanning: Lavasoft." Nowhere below it would there ever be a conclusion to it.
    I'm getting really confused.

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Rie,

About that "Test finished":
    Oops sorry, maybe my screenshot was not clear enough.
    Please forgive my poor English in the following:
    Those words "Test finished" were "reflecting" to the CRC32 scan as shown in the screenshot.

In generally if you right-click a file to scan it with TDS-3:
    1. if the file is clean according to TDS-3:
    there will be no confirmation or something like that.
    2. if the file is NOT clean according to TDS-3:
    there will be a warning coming up by TDS-3.

I am really sorry:
    I have no idea why you have problems with it.
    As far as I am concerned it is from now on up to DiamondCS to try to help you.
    It is their program.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.