Scanner newbie question.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ErikAlbert, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hi scanner experts,

All good scanners have a real-time shield.
    My logical assumption is that this real-time shield is different from the scanner itself, otherwise you would only need the real-time shield and not the scanner itself.

What are the major differences between both in simple English ?

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Since I'm sure that everyone knows a real-time shield scans files upon access and an on-demand scanner scans files only when you tell it to, what do you want to know, exactly?

3. ErikAlbert

I thought a real-time shield protects you against the installation of a virus on your computer.
    Assuming that this is true, I will put it this way :

If an AV protects you against 500,000 infections in total (signatures + heuristics) will its real-time shield also stop 500,000 infections from being installed. o_O

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

In theory, and assuming you use the same settings for both, yes.

In fact, the on-access scanner might protect you from more. Some malware types such as droppers and downloaders create new files on the system as they are executed, which on-access scanners will block as it happens.

5. ErikAlbert

OK. Thanks :)

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Very often that will not be the case, else there would be little need for demand scans (other than to pick things up that slip in before sigs are released).

Generally speaking realtime scanners will have slightly different configuration from demand scanners (to preserve resources etc). In some cases the demand scanner and realtime scanner cannot be given the same configuration and heuristics may be different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.