Scan on boot up if computer...has mind of its own

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Baldrick, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Anybody experiencing this 'featurette'.

Uncheck the 'Scan on boot up if computer....' option under the Scan Schedule tabs in Settings, and then check on it after a reboot or the following morning (when you would usually have rebooted if you switch your PC off overnight).

Does anybody find that the option has somehow gotten itself rechecked, ie, it is ON again?

Have just noticed this (but to be fair have had some issues with this option before & uninstalled completely and reinstalled to try to resolve it.)

Be interested to see if this is happening to anyone. Am running latest build .193.

Regards

Balders

PS. Have posted this also at the Webroot forum!

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

It sounds to me that this is a sort of "fail-safe" built into WSA, in that knowing that a scan has been scheduled, it is programmed to be absolutely sure that scan is done if schedule is missed, and this cannot be disabled perhaps?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Do you happen to have WSA managed via central configuration policies? That would override the changes you make locally. Otherwise, I'm not sure why it would reset itself, short of possibly the system not shutting down correctly and it losing the configuration change. If that is the case, you may want to shut down WSA manually to ensure everything is flushed to disk, then reboot your system.

Hope that helps!

4. Baldrick

I hope not as it sort of negates the option that apparently allows you to not use the setting!!!:eek:

5. Baldrick

Hi Joe

No...not centrally managed...its just little old me at the controls. :D

Not aware that the system is not shutting down properly. Is there anyway that I can check if this is the case? I do run Rollback Rx but as far as I am aware this has never interfered with WSA (or its predecessors ;) )

I will try the change config, manual close down of WSA and then reboot...and see if that changes things...(in which case I will then have to work out why Windows is not closiing down properlyo_O).

Will post back re. that last one once done.

Have a great weekend.

Balders

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Ok Balders...sorry for my speculative suggestion :)

Just wondered also if you tried unchecking "Enable Scheduled Scans" for a few days, then try again to set it as you wish? Just an idea :)

7. Baldrick

Hi Dermot

Absolutely no reason to apologise...your suggestion was plausible. I just hope that all it is...and not the reason. ;)

Have tried turning off the scans & then re-enabling and that has had no effect so, as I replied to Joe, will try his suggestion and see if it is in fact something "local" so to speak...but hope not as that might raise more, non WSA-related questions.

Cheers

Bladers

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I'm looking at this one closer myself but so far haven't been able to reproduce it. Could you let me know if this happens with any other configuration options within WSA for you?

9. Baldrick

Thanks Joe.

Will do most certainly.

10. Baldrick

Hi Joe

OK, here are thee results of the initial tests base don your theory of "...possibly the system not shutting down correctly and it losing the configuration change".

Unchecked "Scan on boot up if...." & 'Save All', then closed the WSA GUI only and restarted.
    RESULT: Checking after restart shows the "Scan on boot up if...." CHECKED.

Unchecked "Scan on boot up if...." & 'Save All', then closed the WSA down completely using the "Shut down Webroot Protection" option by right clicking the sys tray icon and restarted.
    RESULT: Checking after restart shows the "Scan on boot up if...." NOT CHECKED.

Checked the "Scan on boot up if...." AND the "Perform a scheduled Quick Scan..." options & 'Save All', then closed the WSA GUI only and restarted.
    RESULT: Checking after restart shows the "Scan on boot up if...." NOT CHECKED BUT the "Perform a scheduled Quick Scan..." WAS STILL CHECKED.

o_Oo_O

Unchecked "Scan on boot up if...." option, left the the "Perform a scheduled Quick Scan..." option unchecked & 'Save All', then closed the WSA down completely using the "Shut down Webroot Protection" option by right clicking the sys tray icon and restarted.
    RESULT: Checking after restart shows the "Scan on boot up if...." AND the "Perform a scheduled Quick Scan..." options were NOT CHECKED.

So, unless I am mistaken or got confused that the "Scan on boot up if...." is affected by system not shutting down correctly and it losing the configuration change BUT this does not affect the "Perform a scheduled Quick Scan..." option.

Not what I had expected but perhaps you can make some sense of it? Let me know if there is something else or some other combination that you would like me to try?

Regards

Balders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.