Scan object count differences between KAV, NAV and McAfee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I just performed an experiment.

PC has 4 OS.
    KAV 6 is installed in the main OS.
    NAV 2005 is installed on two of the OS.
    McAfee VS 11 is installed on 1 OS.

Office 2003 is installed in the OS that has KAV 6.
    Office 2002 is installed in the OS that has McAfee VS 11.
    Office 2000 is installed in an OS that has NAV 2005.
    Office 97 is installed in the other OS that has NAV 2005.

Word 2003, Word 2002 and Word 2000 each use a copy of the same Normal.dot file. Word 97 has a unique, tho, as I recall, functionallly identical, Normal.dot file.

Booting to the OS having KAV 6 and Office 2003, I scanned all 4 Normal.dot files. For Word 97, the reported count was 6, for the other three, the reported count was 4. The count is equal to the number of components in the Word project + 2.

Booting to the OS having McAfee VS 11 and Office 2002, I scanned all 4 Normal.dot files. The count was reported as 1 for all 4 files.

Booting to the OS having NAV 2005 and Office 2000, I scanned all 4 Normal.dot files. For Word 97, the reported count was 24, for the other three, the reported count was 18. I do not what NAV is counting.

KAV reports a much larger count for a full system scan, but a lower count for each Word template. Implication is that NAV does not delve deeply into some/all "archives".

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

wrong, they are just counting differently.

kaspersky over counts any other AV ive tried, if norton was no good with archives, it really wouldnt have its current detection rate or reputation.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

some av's count an archive as one file.
    kaspersky counts everyfile in that archive so instead of 1 file as one archive its like e.g. 100 files
    lodore

4. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

detection rates have nothing to do with archives (zip, rar, tar.gz, 7z, msi, cab etc.), the samples in testing are unarchived. if anything it has more to do with runtime packers (UPX, Aspack...) which are a different story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.