Scan in User or Administrator account?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JimF, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimF

JimF Registered Member

Using WinXP, I normally operate in a User account. But when I do a NOD32 scan, should I scan in the User account, or the Administrator account, or both?

2. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

The scan is executed as the user you are logged in as, so.. it will only be able to scan the files that user has access to. If you only have one user account, and the administrator account doesn't have many "personal" files, you might aswell scan as the user.

If any system files are infected, you will have to clean using the administrator account, but.. that will most likely never be needed. I'd scan with the user account.

You could also schedule the scanning using the NOD32 Control Center. That way it will have access to more things (system account), but, you won't see any progress of the scanning, but.. in almost all cases, no interaction is necessary, and no infected files will be found, so.. a scheduled scan might the best choice.

Best regards,
    Anders

3. JimF

JimF Registered Member

Thanks. NOD is about the only AV I have found that works properly in a User account. I am surprised more people who are concerned about security don't use it, but it does take some learning on how to install most programs, since most Windows programmers do not seem to know much about it.

4. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

The problem is that users are used to being logged in as administrators all the time. That's a big reason for malware outbreaks. :p

I suggest that Microsoft change Windows.. When you are logged in as an administrator, you can only run in 640x480, and an audio-alert will be played every three minutes ;P

Best regards,
    Anders

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

...and using 60hz refresh...

Eesh! Talk about painful!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.