Scan frequency?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Some would consider me paranoid about computer security. As I run my business from home and my wife also does a great deal of on-line shopping, I feel the need to have my computers very secure.

Question: Is a daily in depth scan too much? Can it be harmful in any way to my system? Is it unecessary?

If so, how often would you suggest to scan all files for viruses and or to perform an in depth scan?

PS...I also do a daily scan with Spysweeper. Even though neither program generally finds anything. Seeing the clean scan log seems to give me peace of mind.

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I've always scanned once a week which has been sufficient for me in many many years.
    Daily scans can't really hurt your system, it just makes your harddrive work more during the week.

3. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

just wear and tear...

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

if u have your AMON and IMON set properly I think 2 scans/month are quite enough. :)

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

IMO. Needed scans will vary with PC useage. Surfing, downloads, even who`s address book you are in and how PC literate they are can affect your safety. My NOD32 is set to check for updates every 4 hrs. (every hour is default I believe). Then scan every night while the PC is not in use.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My recommendation has always been for the "Average" user, at a very minimum once a week, for those that go 4 Wheel Driving across the internet to chase every bad site that they can find, then once a day.

Cheers :D

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

The most paranoid setting available that has any real value is a full scan triggered by successful update of signatures / component. I do not use this myself. :D:D
    And depending on what they want to do / want to achieve it may actually be an inteligent choice for some.

Cheers :)

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Of course, he is running his buisness at home...
    I'm just running 3 free webservers / 9 files, and still doing scans once a week, but if money and stuff like is involved you can never be too sure. If it was me, I would do a daily scan, but only when I was sleeping or not in the office or something.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  9. Blackspear

Agreed, and for the 4 wheel drivers of this world, it would be a setting that I would use.

Cheers :D

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    For me...if I'm installing on an existing system...one in depth scan after install..then I leave it in the hands of IMON/AMON. That's for my home systems.

Now depending on the exposure of the computer...higher risk PCs for example..one sitting on a public IP in a data center, or frequent P2P warez users..perhaps some scheduled scans.

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Only when suspicion arises. :shifty:

snowbound

12. dog

dog Guest

I'd say weekly scans at the most ... AMON/IMON should catch anything in the mean time ... My setup is for monthly scans.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I do on-deamnd scan only with any software whether it is AV( antivir) or anti-spysweeper( w defender). BTW, i do dafe surfing.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't use Nod, But if your resident scanner is worth it's salt then a weekly scan should be fine.this frequency has served me well in the past.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  15. Blackspear

Mental note to self, talk to the Inspector, send several files marked you have won the Nigerian Lottery to Snowy, Dog and BigC :blink: :D

:D :D :D

16. bigc73542

Did I really win :D :D :D

17. Blackspear

Of course you did, please PM me your bank account details, we are having trouble getting the money out of the country, the President is in exile and I am his cousin, I can assure you this is genuine, on my pet chickens life I swear (well I ate chicken tonight, sure hope that wasn't my favourite pet chicken) :blink:

18. bigc73542

Outstanding, banking details are on the way. I knew I had to get lucky sooner or later.

19. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Quiet please. :cautious: :D

snowbound

20. Blackspear

That's twice in one day I've been told o_O :doubt: :blink:

Well with that I'm going to bed :D :D :D

21. pykko

pykko Registered Member

hmm....anyone wanting some chicken flu from Romania? :D Special discount only today. Don't heistate... I"m very generous today. :D :D

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Daily scans for me.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Whats the point of real-time scanners if everyone is using on-demand almost hourly o_O? I make on-demand only after AV installation and in case my PC is acting weird. I leav eeverything else to RT scanner.

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I sometimes made an on-demand scan of three in three weeks, just to see if catch sometimes, that I doubt that will find, and to see if it find some false-positive...

I only had a virus in 2000 with McAfee, because I installed an update file that was already infected from my University, and damaged a lot of exe's of my system.
    The solution was the format... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.