Scan files from context menu

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tonyblair, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyblair

tonyblair Registered Member

Something doesn't seem quite right when I right-click a file or folder and select "Scan with ESS".

I just tried on a folder containing 7.5GB of files and the scan completed in 0 seconds, 29 files scanned. I know my RAID array is fast, but 7.5GB is clearly impossible, heck even my RAM ain't that fast :p

If I do the same thing with a drive, the scan takes time, and seems to work as it should. It just doesn't seem to work correctly when scanning individual files or folders.

Have I misconfigured ESS somehow?

2. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I find that it depends on what kind of files you're scanning. I just scanned an 11 GB file containing .mp3 .wma and .wav in 20 seconds. Then I scanned a 2.93 GB file containing .exe .cab .zip .rar and others in 6 minutes and 28 seconds. I think it skips over those file types that couldn't possibly contain a virus.

3. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Odd, given that this occurs with my setup too and all of my profiles are set to scan *all files*. I also see that the scan may be cached, is this normal? ie. the scan can be repeated and the result is instantaneous.

I'm using the av only v3.0.621 and now slightly concerned

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I suggest testing it, just to be sure. What you can do is plant the eicar test file into a folder then scan to make sure it finds it. Best test would be this.

First, find a folder that has a few sub folders in it to use as a scanning test.
    Right-click on that main folder and scan it.
    Next, use the systray menu to temporarily disable the antivirus on-access scanner.
    Goto http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm, scroll way down, and download the eicar.com file from the link.
    Take that file and put it in one of the sub-folders from the main folder you just scanned.
    Re-enable the antivirus on-access scanner, but be well away from where you planted the eicar file so on-access doesn't catch it.
    Now, return to the main folder, and use the context menu to scan that folder tree again.

Whether it scans the folder tree fast or slow, it'd better alert on the eicar test file. If it doesn't, the NOD32 on-demand scanner is not working.

After that, you may want to return to the eicar.com site and see if the on-access scanner catches the different eicar test bariants when you attempt to download them. (NOD32 probably won't catch the plan text eicar.com.txt as it normally doesn't scan .txt files.)

5. tonyblair

tonyblair Registered Member

Thanks LWM, that put my mind at ease :)

Reassuringly I couldn't download any of the variants until I'd disabled the firewall. I then tried placing the suspect files in folders that were previously being scanned in zero seconds, and ESS did its job perfectly.

Merry Christmas :D

http://z.about.com/d/cats/1/0/C/y/2/Luna500x588.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.