Scan E mail

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by WilliamP, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Is there some way that an E mail message can be handled so that it can be right clicked, and then scanned, without opening it?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, WilliamP

What sort of E-mail?

If it is a POP3 it is scanned automatically, as NOD32 finds your POP3 account.

TheQuest :cool:

3. WilliamP

I have Windows XP Home and use Outlook Express 6 for my E Mail. I have NOD32 and TDS3 that I would like to be able to use.

4. WilliamP

Quest ,I apologize for the second post. I got to thinking that I had posted in the wrong place. Getting back to what you said. If the Email is in my system ,unopened and NOD hasn't allerted , then it must be ok? Is that correct?

5. TheQuest

Hi, WilliamP

Please try not to run two post' on different forum's:-

cross post has been removed - paul

Yes as I said it will find your POP3 Account, Outlook Express is a POP3 Account.

I hope this is what you want to know.

6. WilliamP

Thank you for the help.

7. TheQuest

Hi, WilliamP

Have you Set NOD32?

Attached Files:

8. WilliamP

Thank you Quest. I had my setup allmost like yours. I had heuristics on standard and didn't click list all files. To tell the truth I think I was a little confused. What I would like to be able to do is scan attachments that come with E Mails.

9. TheQuest

Hi, WilliamP

Just did a serch for you on attacchments on NOD32:-

Lot to read :D

10. WilliamP

I read all that . I am very cautious about opening attachments. In fact don't open many. None from unknown source. But from time to time either my wife or myself will get an E mail from someone we know with an attachment. That is when I would like to be able to scan.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't know if this would work for you, but I don't use IMON. I had terrible experiences with it in beta and email scanning is just another layer of defense and my ISP scans all the email with Symantec corporate. Plus, I have Hyper threading CPU so I can't use it anyhow as I doubt the fix works very well because if did it would be a part of NOD32 and not some special thing you must ask for from Eset.

I ALWAYS download any attachment to disk and then scan via advanced heuristics command line. (Plus, like you I ALWAYS discard, without opening, any email with an attachment that I am not expecting. NO EXCEPTIONS PERIOD). So, you might consider using IMON if you want or not, but also manually scanning the attachment. You can get Paolo's shell extension from the sticky at the top of this forum. It really should be a part of NOD32 ...another embarrassment for Eset IMO ... not making it a default part of NOD32. Paolo's extension is a major reason I stay with NOD32 and I hope it is soon a part of NOD32.

12. WilliamP

Thank you Mele20, I run Imon and have had no problems. I have Paolo's extension and that is one of the main reasons I want to be able to right click on an attachment and scan.

13. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

If you are running IMON an e-mail attachment has already been scanned prior to your Inbox and IMON will notify you if an attachment is infected.

Because IMON uses AH by default there wouldn't be any reason to scan the attachment again using Paolo's extension.

IMON Setup:

http://webpages.charter.net/gunn1943/imonah.JPG

14. WilliamP

Stan ,why didn't know that? For some reason, I didn't think that the attachment would be scanned unless it was opened. I appreciate the info.

15. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Hi WilliamP,

An example of an e-mail I received and IMON noting an infected attachment and I selected delete. Then IMON removes the attachment and also places a notation on the e-mail.

http://webpages.charter.net/gunn1943/imon2.JPG

16. WilliamP

Thank you Stan. That makes me feel a lot better. I don't get a lot of E mail myself,but my wife does and bless her heart she doesn't know how to spell security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.