Scam alert

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Acadia, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Moderators, move elsewhere if another location is better, I never know where to post these things:

Posted this elsewhere in response to another’s post but thought this was worth starting another thread to make sure everyone is aware:

Just read this today in the latest issue of Kiplingers:

"SCAM ALERT: Don't sign up for the "National Do Not E-mail Registry". It’s a bogus Web site that mimics the National Do Not Call Registry site, a legitimate program sponsored by the federal government. The Federal Trade Commission warns that the deceptive site is being used to collect personal data for spammers and identity thieves."

Acadia

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Seems like a good place if ya ask me, Acadia. Man, I wish we could throw those kinda people in prison :mad:

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Detox ... you are much to kind. Hang them naked & by their toes in a public square for a day with a sign that sez "I created the virus that messed up your computer". Wanna bet that would cure them. :D Really guys I am not that mean but I think back when I had to deal with the Sobig virus a couple of years ago and knowing little about computers at that time, I could have cheerful paddled them right where it hurts most. On the other hand something positive came out of all this ... I learned about computer security here, how to get rid of viruses and keep my computer running smoothly. :)

I also had an attempt at my identity theft via credit card last year. This was not internet related. Simply do not let your credit card out of sight at a restaurant, gas station or anywhere where you cannot view the transfaction taking place. Also, never allow the clerk to swipe your card twice - ask for the first transaction to be cancelled before taking a second swipe. They will act annoyed but so what!! Beggars who stole my credit card number applied for more credit cards under my name. Got that info from the Credit Bureau. Fortunately I was unscathed because the police caught the culprits, notified my credit company who suspended my card immediately and then security contacted me. Oh well, such is life.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It would be fun to see them hanging upside down in the town square. But really the laws concerning this type of thing are going to have to be made strong enough to detere it. I can't say how strong that should be but I am sure that they must not be now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.