SBKPF 4.3.744 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

This is taken from the "readme". Looks like Sunbelt has woken up in 2007!

* Corrected issue in which registration fails when firewall is enabled.
    * Significant improvement in network performance when web filtering is enabled.
    * Enhanced Process Injection prevention to prevent code inject attempts into Windows system DLLs.
    * Corrected numerous application crashes in the firewall service.
    * Corrected various crashes in assist.exe
    * Corrected issue in which setting password and checking for update does not cancel authentication form.
    * Corrected issue in which binary data appeared in logs.
    * Significant improvement in product stability.

2. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I just checked for updates and it said none were available, so I ended up downloading it manually.

There's also a v4.3.745 Beta version available for anyone feeling brave..

3. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Bluenile, did you uninstall the old version first or just install over the top?

4. mintpai

mintpai Registered Member

Just run the setup.exe which will automatically go into upgrade mode if your system have a earlier version installed.

5. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I sure hope this is more stable -- a lot more stable. I have gone through three versions of this firewall including 635 and I keep getting BSoDs (I am envious of Huwge who has vnever had issues regardless of the version!). My Minidumps consistently show it is a Kerio driver problem, particurlay fwdrv.sys

Look at all the crashes they had to fix.

6. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

I also hope it is more stable. I used Kerio for a long time and really liked it - but I eventually realised that my BSODS were caused by the firewall, and gave up on it. I would use it again if the crashes were eliminated.

7. Bluenile

I'm on v4.3.745 beta now.

Working fine so far..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  8. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Running the new build with no problems at the moment

9. Gez

Gez Registered Member

I've tried a lot of the firewalls but I keep coming back to this one -- never had a problem with BSODs. Perhaps it all depends on the NICs used? Anyway, just giving my thumbs up to Sunbelt for this one -- I think it's a great, light and fast firewall. It seems updates are coming out a lot faster now so let's hope the issues other people are having are resolved, without bloating the software. Bloat is the main reason I switched from my long-standing love affair with Zone Alarm.

10. thezman

thezman Registered Member

how is the mem usage with this one?? i always liked kerio and may try this one out and see how well it does.. i saw some said it wasnt hungry and i really hope so.. do you know is this vista compatable yet? thanks

11. Gez

Gez Registered Member

I find it light -- haven't any figures to hand but compared with ZA and Comodo it certainly feels a lot lighter. If you turn off web filtering, which is essentially ad blocking, it is even lighter, but I happen to like that feature. The one thing I liked about Jetico which this one doesn't have is IP address resolving of ad servers, which means you can block these sites using rules instead of blocking them as they come in, but other than that I really do think this is the tidiest, nicest and lightest of the software firewalls I've tried. Let's hope Sunbelt stick with the tried and tested "firewall only" option, rather than tacking other bits and pieces onto it.
    I've heard a lot about other people's problems with Kerio, but I've been trying it on and off since just before Sunbelt took over and I've never once had a problem. Perhaps these people have other network issues, or there's residual stuff left behind from other firewalls and/or malware?

12. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Gez, from my own experience I didn't have any residual leftovers from older firewalls or malware because mine was a brand new build and Kerio was the first and only firewall installed. I also have a router, NOD32, Spysweeper, as well as Ad-Aware. You mentioned in a previous post that perhaps all the BSoDs are caused by the NIC's used. Could you explain further and what I should look into? Still my minidumps consistently point to fwdrv.sys as the culprit which is a Kerio driver.

I do find the web filtering does slow things down somewhat but nothing like Zone Alarm.

13. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

There was some BSOD when using other versions of SKPF with AOL AVS, does anyone know, or believe that this may have been resolved?

14. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

The BSoDs that I experienced with earlier versions of KPF were also all caused by fwdrv.sys on my system. I bit of Googling seemed to suggest that this was not uncommon.

It would be good to get an indication from Sunbelt as to whether they can address issues with this driver.

15. Bluenile

It's working fine alongside AVS here. No problems whatsoever.

16. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Thanks to both of you, and Bluenile do you have NIPS and Application Behavior Blocking enabled?

17. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

The check for update feature has never worked for me. I've even waited weeks after a release and never had it work.

18. Bluenile

Yes, and bought a 2 year licence now so got HIPS as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.