SBIE & DEFENSEWALL

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Overkill, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Can these two co-exist? if so, how do I configure them so they won't conflict?

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

My understanding is they can, although I have not used them together. Do an "advanced search" in this forum with both in the title bar and search either "Sandboxie DefenseWall" or "sbie defensewall" search titles only. Here is one thread I found: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=302517&highlight=sbie defensewall

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I used them together on XP SP3. Without any special settings with respect to each other. They coexisted nice on my comp. Though it depends.

I make such experiments with an image of the OS and a time machine. Just in case.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

I am using this combo in my virtual machine without any problems, no exclusions need to be set in either,the only thing I noticed is that Sandboxie does not prompt for recovery in quick recovery if any file is downloaded from the internet,you will have to manually recover the files from the respective sandboxes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have been using this combination for a number of years on both XP and Win 7. I have had no malware problems during this time.

It is not necessary to make any special configuration of either. This is a killer combination with unparalleled support....although you probably won't need it.

6. Solarlynx

You may need support for DW. My MS Office lags at launch up to half a minute delay for Word. Ilya helped to fix it to 10 sec of delay - it was a printer driver issue. Though the issue wasn't solved completely replies from the developer were quick.

7. Overkill

Thanks all, i'm going to test these in the vm for the time being

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Usually compatibility problems are due to multiple software performing the same tasks. SBIE is a sandbox while Denfensewall is like a policy based behavior blocker, so there would be no conflict at all. :D

9. Solarlynx

yep! It's nice multilayer approach. They complement each other.

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Local policy-based sandboxing-style behaviour blocker, more concrete.

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Sad there is not a 64bit version.I would certainly try this if there were as the feedback has been very positive.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

DW is a top notch program,it is one of the best of its kind:thumb:

13. Overkill

Are there any programs similar to Defensewall?

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

The only one I know of is GesWall, apparently no longer being developed. (although I could be wrong)
    Their forums look like a ghost town.
    But still a strong security option.
    I tried GesWall along with Sandboxie at one time a while back and got a bluescreen for my troubles.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. Overkill

Yea I forgot about that, sad it's no longer being updated

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

appguard

17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, as jmonge said: AppGuard (32-bit and 64-bit).

18. Overkill

How is appguard like defensewall? DW is a sandbox type app and appguard is anti exe correct?

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

AppGuard is like software restriction policy anti-exe kind of program

20. Overkill

:thumb:

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard is like DefenseWall because both are policy restriction applications that classify all applications as belonging to one of two groups: trusted or untrusted. Different policy restrictions are applied to each group.

DW is policy restriction with partial sandboxing features. It isn't a full sandbox type application in the way that Sandboxie is because it doesn't completely isolate applications from the real system.

AppGuard is policy restriction with some anti-exe features. It isn't a full anti-exe type application because it doesn't operate a default deny policy. With AppGuard programs in system space are never prevented from running, but they will have their behaviour restricted if explicitly classified as untrusted by adding them to the guarded applications list. Programs in user space will either be denied from running or will run guarded, depending on a number of factors unrelated to whitelisting.

22. Overkill

If DW doesn't completely isolate malware, is there a chance malware can do harm to a system?

23. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Providing that DefenseWall remains installed and running, no I wouldn't think so; the same applies to AppGuard. If DefenseWall were to be uninstalled with traces of malware left on the file system, I suppose it's theoretically possible but I imagine it would still need the user to deliberately run the malware first. Any attempt at automatic activation would already have been prevented by DefenseWall when the malware was originally encountered. It's highly probably that any remaining traces wouldn't be sufficient for the malware to deliver a payload as DefenseWall would most likely have interfered sufficiently with the malware installation process to disable it and render it completely ineffective.

For additional security with higher risk activities such as web browsing, DefenseWall can be combined with either an application sandbox such as Sandboxie or some form of light virtualization, which is why I assume that you've asked whether DefenseWall and Sandboxie work well together, to which the answer is yes they do work well together as they are different types of application that won't conflict. With Sandboxie, there won't be any traces of a sandboxed session remaining after the sandbox has been emptied.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  24. Overkill

:thumb: :thumb:

25. Overkill

OT:How are you liking your config?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.