SBIE 4.x+ & MBAE |It is time...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by syrinx, Aug 26, 2016.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Duotone, right this moment there are no problems reported by Chrome users that can only be reproduced in W10. What I wrote about SBIE messages and Chrome, applies to all systems. Same with programs that interfere with Sandboxie, they usually are the same. If you use a program that conflicts with Sandboxie, you ll get an error message. You set the sandbox wrong, you get information messages. You solve error messages by figuring out the program that conflicts with SBIE. And the information messages are solved by reading and understanding the message.

Take a look at this one, a classic message :). Many Chrome users get this message and express dissatisfaction, but really, the message tells you whats happening and the programs that are involved and how to get rid of it. I don't believe Sandboxie should be blamed for what programs you run sandboxed do on a regular basis.

Untitled.jpg

You can read about the SandboxieBITS program in this link. It specifically mentions Google products.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ServicePrograms#bits

Bo

2. Duotone

Duotone Registered Member

That's to be expected with Win10 constant updates...

@bo Kamusta?! It's been q while since I posted in SBIE forum... a.k.a "Nix"

3. bo elam

Mabuti. Nice seeing you, Nix. :cool:

Bo

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To clarify, I was talking about older versions of SBIE which didn't support Vivaldi yet. With new versions it did run fine. I don't know about MS Office because I have removed it. I haven't been active on the SBIE forum, so perhaps I need to read some of those topics to understand what all the complains are about. But according to guest they are not all simple to fix, if I understood correctly.

5. bo elam

6. guest

guest Guest

@Rasheed187 : i love Bo's denial by quoting users doing wrongly...instead of giving a helpful answer, he will point that a mistake was made, he did the same with you , claiming that something in your system is creating the issue not Sbie of course (which in you case was clearly a Sbie misbehavior) :rolleyes:

it is his line since the ages of times... Sandboxie is perfect , only the user made it behave wrongly...

Whatever, to answer your question, from what i know, you can see that Sandboxie isn't the king of compatibility, not only with security softs but with various other apps.
    Because every major change in any software require an update to Sbie.
    Sbie is using a kind of whitelisting, so as any whitelist, if the code drastically change or is too different, Sbie must be updated; and depending of the severity, the release of the fix may take time.
    Vivaldi is chromium-based but because it is different in the code than Chrome, in this case Sbie needed a fix.

you want to use Sbie perfectly without issue , do as Bo:

- use WinXp or 7
    - don't install too much apps

unfortunately , many of us do differently...stagnation is regression.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This is completely true. I agree with every word you've said. Sadly I underscore the need to use minimum apps which actually quasi-work within SBIE. Anyway it still my main front line of defense though.

8. guest

guest Guest

@Mister X Sandboxie is very good, i never said the opposite , i was using it since quite a long time. If you have it, use it. It has just some few things i find personally annoying, so i shifted to another solution that fits my needs better.

9. bo elam

Well, yes, if you use AppGuard. MBAE, ERP and who knows what else along Sandboxie, you will have problems, and likely a weakened Sandboxie.

Bo

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes, I know you are talking about ReHIPS and I like it. I see a lot of potential but I'll wait until there's no other way but to install Windows 10 (I'm still on Win8.1 :p) which breaks and most likely will break in the future apps +SBIE. Besides ReHIPS needs more development. That's it, don't wanna go off-topic L0L.

11. Rasheed187

Yes, it also depends a bit on how complex certain apps are, some apps are more easy to sandbox than others. None of the "forced apps" that I use have had any problems, and most apps that I install sandboxed (to quickly test them) work just fine.

Nope, ERP works just fine with SBIE. Combining it with HMPA and MBAE may be a less good idea, and it might also depend on which version of Windows you're using.

12. bo elam

You say Nope, but you are actually agreeing with me. :)

If ERP works great with SBIE, then don't add nothing other than perhaps an antivirus thats known to work with SBIE. But if you add into the mix of security programs you are using programs that historically have conflicted with Sandboxie, you will have problems running programs in the sandbox, installing programs in the sandbox, you ll get SBIE messages, you ll get more frequently the sandbox doesn't delete error when you close sandboxed programs, your programs will take longer time to open up sandboxed, sandboxes will take longer to delete, etc.

Bo

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  13. Rasheed187

Yes we agree, but I was just trying to say that ERP on its own doesn't conflict with SBIE. I also use SpyShelter without any problems.

14. bo elam

Great, we agree to agree :). Spyshelter has been working great with Sandboxie for at least a couple of years. I haven't read anything bad about using this two programs along each other during this span of time.

Bo

15. guest

guest Guest

Appguard work fine with Sbie, just put the container in another partition and put this partition as user-space. If a program doesn't inject dlls into other processes , it shouldn't have any conflict with Sbie.
    HMPA & MBAE has compatilities issues because those dlls injections.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HMPA and Sandboxie are fine together

17. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i never read a request for suggestions or help here - what was the purpose of this thread again? beer? ranting?

18. guest

guest Guest

yes ranting , because sometimes it feel good :p

19. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I see no beer, sorry I'm late to the party....

The way I figure it, the rant should be against all the truly grotty applications, and the fairly pathetic OS support for doing it properly (that's gradually improving I guess) - for example, the Chrome story is in major part because it has pulled its socks up to do its own sandboxing. To be fair to developers (I'm one), the effort and graunch to do in-app sandboxing is pretty difficult with variable results.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to have the option of sandboxie and other controls (including MBAE) despite the effort and sometimes breakages. Often, I'll pass on the opportunity to "upgrade" OS or applications specifically because they don't play with the protections I have and understand, and which offer the essential control, to me, of segregating apps into either internet-facing-with-very-limited-local-file-access, or local-facing-with-zero-internet-access. Sandboxie's the only fairly lightweight user-controlled way I know of doing that right now.

20. Rasheed187

Same over here. I'm planning to eventually switch to Vivaldi which is already supported by SBIE. But I don't always upgrade to new browser versions, so I don't expect to run into many "breakage" problems. And updates for the Windows OS can sometimes also cause serious problems. The only reason you need them is to prevent OS kernel exploits, but I haven't seen too many kernel exploits in the wild in the last years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.