SB 3.1 System Snapshot NEGLECTS to inform of a change

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mike101, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike101

Mike101 Registered Member

Windows XP Home, with
    SpywareBlaster 3.1

Here is a description of the phenomenon I’ve encountered. The problem, itself, doesn't appear until step 8. [Note: The application referred to as "M" is MSN Messenger 6.1.]

1/ Create System Snapshot S1.

2/ Run M, and in Tools|Options|General[tab] check the box for "Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows".

3/ Create System Snapshot S2.

4/ With SB, compare the current system state to S1. SB returns: "Added Startup Object - msnmsgr". [correct!]

5/ With SB, compare the current system state to S2. SB returns: "... has not detected any changes or additions ...". [correct!]

6/ Undo step 2.

7/ With SB, compare the current system state to S1. SB returns: "... has not detected any changes or additions ...". [correct!]

So far, so good! ... Now comes the problem.

8/ With SB, compare the current system state to S2.

Now ... what do I expect SB to return? I expect that SB will return something like: "Changed Startup Object - msnmsgr".

What do I get?

SB returns: "... has not detected any changes or additions ...".

CONCLUSION: System Snapshot, on a Restore operation, NEGLECTS to inform of some changes (i.e. at least one).

Can anyone tell me which of the following is/are true:

(a) I have misunderstood the intention of the statement: "On a Restore operation, System Snapshot provides a list of detected changes/additions."

(b) Regarding the above matter, SB does not function on my machine as it does on that of others.

(c) SB has a bug.

2. Mike101

I see that no one is replying to my post. So, I'll make it all much, much simpler.

In a Restore Operation, System Snapshot will list ADDITIONS and CHANGES.

But what if something has been REMOVED? ... Is that also supposed to be listed?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

You hit the nail on the head. :) (And my apologies for the late reply - things are very busy right now.)

System Snapshot will only list additions and changes, and not removals (as it's main purpose is to let you know if something bad was added, or bad changes were made - if something is removed, such as a startup entry, it no longer applies to your system and thus you won't be notified of it).

I hope that clears things up. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Mike101

:) Got it!

Thanks, Java :cool: cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.