Says my copy of Windows isn't genuine, but it is

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Nov 7, 2015.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's a Dell reinstallation disc w/COA & Key I got along with a machine I purchased from them. The prompt comes up once every 2-3 days, in the bottom right corner of my desktop, and says:

Windows 7
    Build 7601
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

Yet when I registered it it accepted it as genuine after installing the OS. When I go into Control Panel > System, there's a WGA image right there telling me it's genuine, along with a message near my Product ID at the bottom of the page saying it's valid. And also when I go into there that irritating message goes away, as if it realizes - "oops, my bad, it is genuine after all, please carry on now..." Until it comes back a couple days later.

Every time it happens I just go into System to make it go away, but I'd like to find a more permanent solution, along with an explanation as to why it's happening.

2. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

3. luciddream

Thanks a bunch... although my issue sounds different, I tried that method too and a prompt did come up afterward saying it was automatically authenticated. Let's see if it lasts. I'll report back.

Unlike that other guy when I go into System the change settings link is there, and so is my product key/ID... it's not blank like in that persons case. I just get that same message he gets on the bottom right corner of the screen. And unlike him mine goes away every time I go into System.

Well let's hope this fixed the issue for good.

4. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

You're welcome. NoelDP and company are adept with these type of issues and generous with their time. The two things to try I previously linked to are generic 'solutions' to activation problems.

If that doesn't resolve things for you, you could try combing through that sub-forum for problems that more closely mirror your own. If you decide to ask for help there, that sub-forum's posting instructions for activation issues are HERE.

5. luciddream

Unfortunately this didn't work for me... thanks for the help though.