saving some stuff before reformatting

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by baldbart007, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baldbart007

baldbart007 Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I have had repeated problems with my PC. I am now the 3rd "owner' and as a result there is loads of software on here that I don't use, not all of which was ever removed properly, so there are loads of dead short-cuts etc.
    This machine is used at work as our primary connection to e-mail for all bookings for the company. i need it to run smoothly.
    i am considering wiping the lot and reformatting and re-loading the windows 98 SE disc that I have.
    My issue is that there is some stuff here that I really need.
    For example, all the Outlook contents which is the contact from customers, Eudora which I use to send out newsletters, various office applications, contents of the documents folder etc.

Is there any way that I can preserve all this and start again?
    The machine is running a P3 processor, and has 128 meg RAM, a floppy drive and a CD drive (no burner).
    I am only novice with this stuff so would need a bit of hand holding to steady my nerves!!
    ANY help would be really appreciated.
    TIA Bart

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

do you want to just save conact addresses?

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Didn't finish last reply:-they can be copied to a floppy,without a burner the other things pose more of a problem due to size,you could zip them and span multple floppies,or buy either a copy of partition magic:-use it to partition the HD then copy stuff you need to save to a partition which you dont format,alternately install a 2nd HD copy stuff you need to save to that,without seeing size and type of files/apps you want to save thats the way I'd go(if they are applications you are saving they will have to be reinstalled on the formatted machine to run correctly cos you'll have removed the registry settings even though you have saved the work)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.