Saving my MBR when imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Greyhair, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a long-time user of ATI, but I'm puzzled about how to use it to make images on two new computers.

One is a Dell Optiplex that has a small partition for Dell diagnostic tools. My concern is that its MBR refers to this partition and that I will erase the MBR when I restore the image of my c: drive. Is there a way I can save the MBR when I make an image of my C: drive? If when I restore my c: drive, ATI offers to restore the MBR drive, should I choose that option?

The second new computer is a Sony laptop which has a "Windows restoration" partition. The same questions about the MBR are on my mind.

I'm not using a Secure Zone or automatic recovery, so at least I don't have that MBR problem.

If I've revealed that I don't know much about the MBR, that's correct. So please be gentle in your explanation.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Dan,

From TI 9.0 Home Build 3567 onwards, the Track 0 and MBR data will be included in the image irrespective of whether you backup the whole drive or just an individual partition. However, if restoring to the original hard drive, there is no need to also restore the Track 0 and MBR if you don't want to, unless of course the Track 0 and MBR info on the original drive has become corrupted in the meantime.

When restoring just the O/S partition of a multi-partitioned hard drive to a brand new replacement drive then things aren't quite so straightforward. Firstly the replacement drive needs to be set up with the same number of partitions as the original drive (the partitions need not be the same size as the originals). After that you must also restore the original Track 0 and MBR data when restoring just the O/S partition. Note that this entails selecting the partition you wish to restore and then opting to restore another partition and selecting the Track 0 and MBR before committing the actual restore task.

Regards

3. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

Many thanks for your guidance. However, I'm afraid I didn't understand the sentence that says that when restoring an OS partition to a brand new replacement drive, "Note that this entails selecting the partition you wish to restore and then opting to restore another partition".

Good luck and thanks again,

Dan

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Dan,

This is what Menorcaman meant, in a few more words.

In the Recovery Wizard, you first select the O/S partition as the one to restore. You step further through the screens, possibly resizing the partition. On the last screen before being offered the Proceed button, TI will ask you if you want to add another partition to restore. Here you have to reply yes. You will be transferred back to the partitions selection screen, where this time you select MBR and Track 0 and go through the rest of the Wizard once again, clicking Proceed at the end.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.