"Save as ..." destinations in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This is totally (I think) unrelated to security, so my apologies if it doesn't belong here.

Is there any way to set multiple default destination folders, for different file types, in Firefox when I "save image as", "save link as", etc.? Or am I stuck with where the most recent one went regardless of file type? Obviously I can change at the time of downloading, but then I have to remember (or carefully notice) that the default next time is different.

I'm not concerned about EXEs and the like, since those are usually big enough to kick in FDM, where I can set multiple defaults depending on file type. I'm thinking of smaller stuff, typically where I'm jumping between JPGs and MIDs several times.

One possibility, of course, would be to just eliminate FDM's ignore-small-files thing so everything goes through that. But that's like killing flies with dynamite.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  3. MikeBCda

You're dead-on in your understanding, and it looks good. Thanks a lot

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Cheers! The feeling of being helpful is a good one ...
    Some people recycle paper ... some provide computer assistance. All in all, we make this world a notch better.
    Mrk

5. MikeBCda

Now that I've had a chance to use it a bit, there's one more minor bonus that I don't even think is in the developer's "blurb". Downloads are just a hair faster and simpler now because of one or two fewer clicks.

The only minor disadvantage is that I no longer see (then and there, that is) how many files have already accumulated in the folder. But no big deal, since I'm usually working in there shortly after finishing downloads and going offline.

(edit, next day) I just realized there's even more speed gain from a different factor. FF without the plug-in sometimes seems to take a while looking up the MRU folder, but the plug-in's almost immediate in using the pre-defined one.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.