Sata HD problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by nichos, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nichos

nichos Registered Member

Hi,
    On a not well known 5year old SATA "Excel Store" HD with XP, suddenly IE would start to freeze the PC. Sometimes waiting a few mnts would unfreeze & gradually the PC was alsmost unusable.

I thought perhaps a virus affected IE & decided to install Ubuntu 8.10 but since the PC would not boot & giving "NTLRD missing".

I found here http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm the "fixntldr.exe", created the floppy managed to get into safe mode & extracted NTLRD from the XP CD to Win. system32.

Then I got "hal.dll is missing" but now am unable to get in safe Mode nor in a dos prompt to extract hal.dll to System32, making that HD unusable.

I tried various CDs like UBCD etc unsuccesfully.

My partitions & files are not corrupted as I saw them a couple of times when managed the Safe Mode.

Any help on how to reinstall hal.dll in System32 willbe appreciated. ....thanx ....nick

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, could you extract the wanted files from the CD on another comp and save to your choice of media.

Remove the dodgy HD and connect it to the other comp. Then copy/paste from your media into the appropiate location/s in your HD.

3. nichos

nichos Registered Member

No matter what I press all I get is black screen asking to install hal.dll.

With this HD pigy backed on another XP PC both HDs show on Bios but the faulty one does not show on Win Explorer.

The XP & Barte CDs after the "Setup is inspecting PC's hardware config", the process stops dead.

As I cannot see the faulty HD I can not install hal.dll. .........nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.