SATA Drives and Bart's PE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cdo5, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdo5

cdo5 Registered Member

When a restore is needed is not the time to find out that the b3677 rescue disk does not recognize SATA drives, but that is when most of us discover it.
    Making a boot disk using Bart's PE and the Acronis "Bart's PE plug in" is a successfull work around... Here's what worked for me:
    1. Your Acronis install must have included the "Bart's PE plugin"
    2. You nust have an XP install disk that has been "slipstreamed" with SP2.
    3. Download and install Bart's PE builder (free at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/).
    4. You are going to copy the Bart's PE plug in from the Acronis install to the "PlugIn" folder created in the PE Builder install... BUT... there is already a plug in there named Bart'sPE that has another purpose. So copy the one from Acronis to a temp folder, rename it (I named it "TrueImage") and then copy it to the PEBuilder PlugIn folder.
    5. Run the PE Builder, having it burn it's output to a CD. IT WORKS.
    6. After booting from the Bart's boot disk you will find True Image by clicking GO - System - True Image.

Good luck - and lelt's hope Acronis quickly corects this situation.

2. zezami

zezami Registered Member

sounds cool. going to try it!

btw, it does recognize some sata, but not some of the latest it seems. i tried the recovery cd on my other computer AM2 chipset with VIA VT8237A sata. It stalls at the black screen witht eh acronis logo in the upper left corner. Problem is that the acronis kernel on the recovery CD hasn't got support for the chipset, acronis: you need to add the following line to drivers/ata/sata_via.c:

{ 0x1106, 0x0591, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, vt6420 },

:)

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I have two internal SATA drives and one USB external SATA-II and they have been all recognized from Rescue CDs created from any TI9 build since 2289.

Nevertheless and just out of curiosity I crated a BartPE CD that works as well. My solution for the placing of the BartPE TI9 plugin may be seen here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=838564&postcount=12

4. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I have two internal, and two external SATA-II hard drives installed, all seen by TrueImage Rescue CD.

John.

5. Omen

Omen Registered Member

The Bart-PE solution is the only one that allowed Acronis (or XP, for that matter) to see my boot SATA drive. Even with a slipstreamed XP SP2 disk, XP won't recognize my SATA boot drive. and since I don't have a floppy drive, I'm SOL for adding SATA drivers the normal way.

Thanks to Bart-PE for giving me back the full functionality of Acronis TI Home 9.0.

6. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I may have discovered a flaw with BartPE. With all this reading about BartPE reading drives, I thought I'd put my created BartPE CD in and boot up to see if my drives could be read.

I checked the box "Validate Backup Acrchive Before Restoration" that you see on both the BartPE CD, and the Acronis Boot CD. Once it started reading....I Canceled the procedure.

Acronis Boot CD = Canceled the Restore. C:/ was NOT affected. Booted up normal. :)

BartPE CD = Canceled the Restore, and C:/ was wiped off. Wouldn't boot. Got message about "No boot disk found"! C:/ partition was gone!:blink:

I'll do more testing to completely confirm this suspected flaw.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  7. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

After doing this again, I can now confirm this .
    Action

After the BartPE CD loads in, choose "Restore". Locate where the .tib Image you want to Restore is located, and then, go on... until you select the drive to Restore. You soon come to a box that appears. "Validate Backup Acrchive Before Restoration".

As you guys know, when you check this Box, and click "Proceed"...it will attempt to read your Backup .tib file. It will briefly simulate the Restoring process...before it actually starts the Restore. I usually Cancel this about 5 seconds after it starts reading the file. (just to see if it can read the file, and doesn't give an error)

Result

BartPE = Canceled the Restore. the C:/ partition gets wiped off. Even if the box is checked, it's gone!!

Acronis' Boot CD = Canceled the Restore. C:/ was NOT affected. Booted up normal.

8. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

BartPE shouldn't theoretically recognize the SATA drive if Windows XP doesn't recognize it. Anyway, in the event that BartPE doesn't recognize your SATA drive, you can load the XP SATA drivers on the BartPE disc as described here (copying from prior thread):

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cdo5 and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

As you have mentioned using Acronis True Image in Bart PE environment is the possible workaround in case the standalone version of Acronis True Image does not recognize the hard drives or RAID controllers. Bart PE bootable CD allows you to loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in your computer at startup manually.

However, if you would like to be able to use the Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media instead of the Bart PE bootable CD to back up/restore the system please collect the following information:

1) Please create Acronis Report, Windows System Information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to a USB flash drive.

2) Provide the exact vendor and model of the hard drive/RAID controller or another device, which failed to recognize when booted into the standalone version of Acronis True Image.

3) Provide the exact name of the product and the build number (for example, Acronis True Image 9.0 Home build 3677), which you use to create Acronis True Image Bootable CD. You can find this information in the Help -> About dialog.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. Spanner

Spanner Registered Member

Thanks cdo5, your instructions saved me from a complete Windows re-install :)

11. dustyroad

dustyroad Registered Member

I want to make a BartPE bootable disk to run TI 9.3677 but I do not understand how to obtain the Bart's PE files from Acronis. As I discovered today the download at Acronis is for 8o_O. I tried reinstalling 9.3677 but the BartPE choice is X ed out. So I must not have originally downloaded them when I upgraded to v9. I do have v9,3666 but I am not sure if that is where I started with V9.

Anyone know how to obtain a download that includes the Bart's PE files?

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Redo the install, and click on the x'd out option, and select install. That should install the bartpe plugin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.