SAS/MBAM real-time, scans necessary?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

If you are running SAS/MBAM real-time is it still necessary to scan?

Can I assume that if I scan once when I install then after that I can just rely on the real-time guard to catch malware when it starts?

Ian

2. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

SAS Realtime is pretty poor right now, honestly. But there is malware that not every Realtime protection can stop, and some that there aren't signatures for yet. That's why it's a good idea to scan once a month or so just to be sure you didn't catch something the real time guards weren't aware of at the time you got it.

3. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

you can easily schedule a daily quick scan of mbam and that'll be all.

4. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Damn...it means that my lifetime license is pretty much worthless,and i can use SAS only as a scanner....Avast!5 free it can handle the spywares by itself imho.

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

Since this thread is about SAS and MBAM real-time protection, I just wanted to add that even when real-time protection in MBAM is good at blocking malicious domains/IPs/web-sites and also blocking Rogue AVs installers, these same features might conflict with Antivirus programs that also have a web-scanner component.

I know about some AVs that scan HTTP traffic and, consequently block malicious domains/web-sites. Therefore, that feature might conflict with MBAM real-time and slow down your browsing.

I had that bad experience [very slow browsing] when I installed a paid version of MBAM [real-time enabled] alongside with ESET NOD32 4.0.474.
    My browsing speed was slow to a crawl and some web-pages completely refused to load.
    I then stopped MBAM real-time protection and everyting went back to normal.

I hope my experiances running MBAM Pro with real-time protection enabled and http-scanner AVs can be helpful for people running MBAM Pro with AVs that scan http--traffic.

Kind regards,

Carlos

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Own both SAS Pro and MBAM Pro...I use both on demand. Prevx 3.0 is real time and seems pretty adept at snagging the majority of malware I might encounter. SAS for me snags a lot of cookies not much else, and I'm dubious as to the effectiveness of it's real time mode. MBAM on the other hand I use on a daily basis for scheduled quick scans,but with Prevx and Avira Premium Ver.10, I might just bypass scanning altogether and use it as a strict on demand basis. Sincerely...Securon

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Always scan at least once a month regardless of if you use real-time protection (speaking of which Zyrtec, I hate that damned IP blocker. It doesn't block anything malicious, it just blocks period).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.