SAS free, newb question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Monkey_Feces, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I feared that presenting this in another thread would be considered a hijack.
    My questions are:
    Do SAS's default settings strike a good balance between optimal detection and reasonable scan times?
    If they don't what should I change?
    And finally, is it worth upgrading to pro if I already have the realtime protection of prevx1 and nod32?

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Yes, the layered way is the way to go, so I do recommend using SAS Pro with your setup, it'll be sweet! People will say nod32 should cover it, but that is just not true. It is one of the better antivirus programs, but SAS Pro's active protection will cover the so-so spyware covering in nod32. Remember SAS is a dedicated antispyware program, and it'll run light alongside nod32 and prevx1!:D And yes the default settings in sas are fine.

3. Weezur

Weezur Registered Member

I just started using SuperAntispyware Pro and can honestly say it is a very nice program. It runs light, gets along well with NOD32 and my other security apps and required no major tweaking.

Kudos and thanks to all the folks at SAS for a great app. :)

4. besafe

besafe Registered Member

My thoughts on SAS is that it is a very good application. Obviously, it's strengths are spyware removal. I do no not think that the active protections of the full version add much value. But I would still reccomend upgrading simply to support the developers cause. He has provided an excellent application for free. And to upgrade, it is only a one time fee, not an annual renewal.

So again, if you like the program, upgrade to show support for the developer.

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The only option you may want to "turn on" would be the Alternate Data Stream scanning - we may actually make that a default option in the future as we are seeing lots of ADS (Alternate Data Stream) infections.

It slows the scanning by a minute or so for a complete scan, but the bottom line is, it takes time to fully scan a system - the scanners that do it "fast" simply aren't looking everywhere :)

6. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

Thanks for the answers.
    If I did have the hours of free time it takes to scan with all of the ignore filters turned off, how much more protection would I have?

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Scanning all non-executable and files over 4MB (which would mean movies, music, etc.) is really pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.