SandBoxing Windows

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by deusnz, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deusnz

deusnz Registered Member

Is it possible to sandbox Windows as opposed to sandbox specific applications and if so what would be the advantages and disadvantages?

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?CommonFeatureRequests

3. deusnz

deusnz Registered Member

In that case. is there any merit to sandbox every application? I have attempted to sandbox for example ITunes in the past but have failed in getting it to run effectively i.e. throws a number of errors. Also should applications be installed sandboxed or should they run sandboxed i.e. right-click and select run sandbox

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Partition virtualisation software is designed to run Windows virtualised. Good examples of this type of software are Returnil and Shadow Defender

Main advantages: (1) system-wide protection while virtualised; (2) useful for testing any software that doesn't require a reboot.

Main disadvantages: (1) needs a reboot to exit the virtual system; (2) all system changes while virtualised will be lost on reboot unless steps are taken to save specific files and folders.

Returnil and Shadow Defender are both compatible with application sandboxing so you can run Sandboxie within a virtualised system partition if you wish in order to provide additional security for Internet facing applications such as browsers, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.