Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by angus49, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

Is Sandboxie the same as virtualization software?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

no.

sandboxie is just a sandbox and it works on a per-application basis.

virtualization software lets u run an entire seperate OS alongside your current one.

3. angus49

Are there any free virtualization programs that will let me try out Vista beta without having to be an IT pro?

4. WSFuser

5. angus49

Thank you for the help.
    Ed

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

May I...
    VMware Player is easy to use. I'd recommend checking vmware.com and picking up any pdf, then look into the forum, lots of appliances for download.
    Perhaps look at vm surfing with the Browser Appliance which allows you to browse the net securely using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux 5.10 (optimized for browsing) which would give an understanding of virtualization.
    I'm vm as I write this.

7. angus49

I use XP Home not Linux (unfortunately). What are the appliances you said to download? Is there a certain one I should use with VM Player?
    Thanks for the input.
    Ed

8. Meriadoc

XP Home is okay
    ...WSFuser stated above - 'virtualization software lets u run an entire seperate OS alongside your current one.'

Appliances can be downloaded to run in the Player

angus49 said :
    'Is there a certain one I should use with VM Player?'

That would be your choice.

Check out the information and you will see if this is suitable for you.

Like I said above the vm and Browser Appliance is a good introduction, I dont know if this will complicate what your trying to achieve, -
    your question is 'Is Sandboxie...' / 'free virtualization software for trying Vista beta.'

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As far as I know Player can be used to run pre-made appliances( special versions of OS etc to run in virtyal player) and vista has
    no version yet like this( and none of Windows OS has). He might need VMware server/ workstation( etc. Look at their site.
    Another Option to look for is parallel( not free).

10. angus49

I googled (parallel) and did not find anything like virtualization software. Do you have any kind of site info? Also, while researching these issues, I found a site "Easy VMX". It looks promising for creating VM appliances. Anyone used this site?

11. WSFuser

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you need to learn more about VMware Player, you check a number of articles I have written. I believe it's an interesting read ... :)

http://dedoimedo.com/computers/vmware_player.html

http://dedoimedo.com/computers/install_xp.html

http://dedoimedo.com/computers/dos.html

http://dedoimedo.com/computers/lfs.html

They all concern VMware Player.

VMware Player is a great product, and quite easy to use.

Aigle: EasyVMX! is OK. You can also write down the .vmx files yourself. And use QEMU to create virtual hard disks. Have a read above.

Mrk

14. Meriadoc

Easy VMX:thumb:

15. angus49

Thank you very much to everyone for all of the great input. At my novice VM level it will take a while to digest everything you have suggested. I will post again if (when) I need more expert guidance. Thanks again.
    Ed

16. angus49

Another question. Would it be easier or possible to make a new partition and install the Vista beta to dual boot with XP Home?

17. WSFuser

it should be possible, but maybe someone who has tried vista can confirm or something.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

19. aussiebear

aussiebear Registered Member

I ran into this thread when I was searching about Sandboxie user experience, but I noticed ALL of you have missed something very important!

VMware Server is FREE. All you need to do is register (free) so that VMware will send you a serial (via email) for activating either the Linux OR Windows versions! With this version, you can create your own VM appliances and share them with those who only want to use VMware Player!

You can install it on Linux, then download Vista Beta and try it out!

Look at my screenshot. This is OpenSUSE 10.1 Linux, running VMware Server, which has Windows 2000 Pro SP4, playing Command and Conquer: Red Alert!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/stmok/VMWare_RedAlert_800x600.jpg

It works perfect! But make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM! (otherwise, the hard disk will thrash around like crazy, accessing the swap!).

The only limitation compared to the expensive ESX and Workstation editions, is the management functions, and that you can only create ONE image to roll back your VM appliance.

For example: IF I trashed my Win2k install (delibrately OR due to malware), I can roll back to the last image I saved! So once you set up your VM appliance, create an image of it, just before you screw around...This way, if anything goes wrong, you can roll back your Windows install within minutes! Instead of spending time re-installing! Takes about 40minutes for a typical default Windows install...It takes less than 2 minutes to roll back a VM image.

Don't forget to install VMware Tools for the guest Windows OS! Otherwise it will be VERY slow. :(

Anyway, this is how I run my usual Windows apps. You can't play modern 3D games with it, but its great to be working in a stable environment of Linux, but still be able to do those "Windows Only" things. :)

I also test security Apps like CoreForce, Whenus, etc this way.

20. Meriadoc

aussiebear said : I ran into this thread when I was searching about Sandboxie user experience, but I noticed ALL of you have missed something very important!
    VMware Server is FREE.

...Yeah Server is free, I did catch that:)
    I use Workstation and Server, the Player and the Browser Appliance is good recommendation as start, into virtualization.

aussiebear said : With this version, you can create your own VM appliances and share them with those who only want to use VMware Player!

...Yep good community...checkout the Virtual Appliance contest - has produced some cool appliances also.:thumb: This is what I'm playing with at the moment http://www.freesco.org/ stable, and very cool.
    SUSE:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.