Sandboxie -- Who has stopped using it and why?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Frank the Perv, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Sandboxie -- Who has stopped using it and why?

Having been around this forum for a quite awhile, I can tell you that very few products have an active Wilders fan base that lasts for more than a few years.

But Sandboxie fans just seem to stay fans.

It's like the anti-trendy security software.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Who has had bad experiences with Sandboxie?

Is it a hassle?

Is it hard to learn?

Are there conflicts with other common programs?

Is the value that much greater than the built-in sandbox of Chrome?

I may finally 'bite the bullet' on this one.

Thank you,

-ftp

:)

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I stopped using it only because I hate the nag it gives me after 30 days.:D

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hey Frank, I don't think I ll ever stop using SBIE, I like it more and more everyday. To answer some of your questions, I have never had a bad experience using SBIE in the three and a half years that I been using the program. It has been a pleasure to use it, never a hassle and easy to learn. What else can I ask?..nothing.

As far as I can tell I have never experienced any conflict between SBIE and something else in my system but there are a some known conflicts.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?KnownConflicts

Comparing Sandboxie with Chrome is something that I would never do. I mean, I know that some people think of SBIE as a browser in a sandbox but Sandbioxie is a lot more than that. The program, as you probably know, can be used to sandbox in addition to your browserS: your Email client, PDF reader, Office programs, video and music players, CD and DVD drives, download folder, Win Rar, USB drives, I mean, any program or file that you download from the internet can be run in a sandbox. Comparing Chrome with Sandboxie stops at the browsers.

There are other benefits that I got out of using SBIE. For one, I discovered Wilders while searching for information about SBIE. Two, I got rid of all other security programs, including real time/on demand scanners, run as an administrator, don't get infected anymore and have fun when I use the internet. That is due to SBIE and what I leaned from you guys here.

Give it a go, Why you waited so long?

Bo

4. guest

guest Guest

I stopped using it because imaging is far more powerful
    and a lot less of a hassle, the trick is to know if you are
    infected or not, if you know? then a re image is the best AV
    there is:thumb:

5. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

If I had to choose just one security app to protect my machine, there would be no doubts in my mind: Sandboxie.

6. wallpapers

wallpapers Registered Member

I stopped using it because:
    -I realized I didn't really need it.

all attack scenarios were already covered enough. :ninja:

so unless there is zero visible performance loss or incompatibility I won't be using it.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I stopped using it because I lost my lifetime license and hate the nag screen.I may buy another license down the road,but right now I am happy with AppGuard and Shadow Defender as they work great together.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Lost your lifetime license? How did that happen?
    There is a so-called learning curve, sure.
    For some, more than others. For me, yes. Upon initial purchase, I thought I had made a huge mistake because of the perceived complexity.
    Within a day or two, I had changed my mind.
    Most people, I think, get it right away.
    Conflicts with other programs? Not so much, but there is the fact that some things don't work unless certain programs are granted permission to start up or have net access. From time to time, I overlook that and mess around with other stuff needlessly until I recall that basic premise. ;)

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I absolutely agree. Very well said Bo.

How would you know if a file you downloaded is safe to get out of the sandbox and run it in the system?

10. Dark Shadow

I bought the license I think back around 07 and lost the code since then.

11. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Tight arse :thumbd:

Not me :thumb:

How can double clicking an icon to open your browser, be hassle
    It depends what lengths you want to go to.. I have a box for each user ( the kids cant recover files ),One for tests, that doesn't auto delete. I set restrictions, what can run, what can access the net, and what programs are forced. Some people go to extraordinary lengths, thats not for me

A one off payment, for a lifetime license, you can use on any amount of your own machines, backed up by personal support from the author. Plus a 30 day trial. What are you waiting for

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Seems to me that Tzuk could do something about that for you.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I agree. :)

14. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I never stop using SBIE, when I move out a file out of my forced download folder, it goes into another folder that is also forced.

If I find myself opening a file unsandbosed, to me that's a mistake. That has only happened once during this past year.

Not adding new programs to my computer, helps doing things the way I do them, I have not added ANY new programs to my system for at least 2 years. During that time the only new program that I installed on my real system is Exe radar, a program that I wanted to try. When I want to try something, I do it under TimeFreeze. Also, I only try well known programs and never get installers from the wrong places.

What I do now when I want to run a scan, I install the scanner under TimeFreeze.

Iron man, going without scanners feels great but if my heart pumped a little harder because of it or if I felt "naked", I would install one right away. Personally, I feel safer by not using one. Doing things the way I do them, was not something that I planned, it just happened on its own. Nothing ws forced. When I dropped real timers, I took the decision on the spot. Same, when later, I decided to drop having on demand scanners installed on my real system.

Bo

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I can think of no other software that I have felt I got such a value for such a small price. It is also the only piece of software that I would pay for again if I lost my code. For myself that says a lot about the quality of the application. May not be the same for others of course.

Regarding the nag screen, I hated that to when I used the free version. What is there to say really though. It is free to use after all :)

Once I bought it, I truly began to see just what a great application it is. If you have only used the free version, then you are, IMO, having a very sub-par experience. It is the paid for version that makes it so versatile.

Regarding not needing it because you have other things in place - perhaps you use it in only one dimension. I can understand this viewpoint, but the way I use sandboxie is quite varied. If I felt my security was good with other means, I would still keep it to use for things like testing new software in to keep things clean or for other uses. It is not just a "browser protector" but really a light virtualization software. The virtualization aspect is useful to me for many purposes.

SBIE doesn't pretend to guarantee a file is "safe". What you do with a file, once taken outside of the sandbox, is not its concern. Its concern is to virtualize what you do within the sandbox environment. I don't think running a file in the real system vs. running it in the sandbox is an apples to apples comparison.

Sul.

16. Dark Shadow

I recovered it once and then lost it again.I moved twice since then and on my 4th machine.No biggie,I will just purchase another license when I am ready.Thanks.

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I usually password a zip file and email it to myself for all accounts/keys. Nothing worse than losing money ;)

Sul.

18. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't use Sandboxie because it doesn't work well on my system. Shadow Defender and AppGuard work well for me though, so I don't really need Sandboxie.

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

For me the only "negative" with SBIE is the lack of fancy,blingy pop-ups and bells and whistles.All that bulletproof security in such a bland little app.:p

20. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I haven't stopped (and wouldn't stop) using Sandboxie, It's probably my favourite program, favourite developer, favourite support forum.
    Sandboxie has an active, communicative, developer, Ronen Tzur (tzuk) and a lively forum and bugs are picked up and dealt with pretty quickly.
    I've probably tried hundreds of versions of Sandboxie and I have a lifetime licence but I use version 3.46 which serves my purposes very well and was the last one of an earlier licencing/monitoring model (to which I don't object).
    I use Sandboxie happily alongside, Firefox Portable 14.0.1, Avast 4.8 Pro (updated to current database), Malwarebytes 1.60.0.1800 (updated to current database) (on Demand), Keyscrambler Premium 2.8.20, Admuncher, Adblock Plus, Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325 (in Shadow Mode when necessary), A little "pet" which I've always used is Webroot Window Washer 3.0 registered from when it first came out in 2000 with various operating systems (now on xp sp3 32 bit). I still run Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 (another pet).
    All these programs sit comfortably with one another, so I'm happy.

Lastly I backup regularly to second drive using Casper 7.0 with all these programs untouched on the drive.
    It makes a full copy, file by file, and fully bootable. Casper also does incremental updates using Smartstart", so the second time you run it, it does not take very long at all since it only copies the changes from the last backup

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  21. java dude

java dude Registered Member

I've been using SBIE for over a year now and I love it. I can't browse without it! Yes, there's a slight learning curve, but there are all sorts of tutorials and how-to's on the SBIE site and here on Wilders that make it easier to understand. I haven't noticed any real impact on performance either besides a slight (3-5 second) delay in loading a program inside a fresh sandbox, which is a big plus.

22. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

At the request of a Wilders member early last year, I installed Sandboxie and tested it against several exploits, including a boobie-trapped RTF document used in a targeted attack.

Sandboxie contained all of the exploits, proving good protection.

I didn't keep the program because I already had security in place.

regards,

-rich

23. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

About a year ago I gave SandBoxie a try as an additional layer of isolation for attack surface apps. I eventually removed it. Much of its protection was duplicating coverage I already had in place. This summer, I decided to evaluate it again on my XP unit, not so much as a security layer, but more as a privacy enhancement.

In the last year or so, we've seen new tracking methods being used, the evercookie POC, zombie cookes, new ways of storing tracking data in unexpected ways and locations on your PC. When set to automatically wipe the sandbox, SandBoxie can get rid of all of it. For those who already have good security packages in place, SandBoxie might still be worthwhile just for the ability to catch and delete tracking/usage data.

24. Dark Shadow

Yes it does a wonderful job containing things good or bad.I am a big believer when people have Sandboxie installed to use it full time for all internet facing applications.Good habits usually return good results.

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah got it Bo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.