Sandboxie vs DefenceWall HIPS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by samy, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samy

samy Registered Member

I have just read on different forums and also here in different threads herein on Sandboxie and Defence Wall HIPS programs as additional defense against Malware which may "bypass" the common AV, AS, Firewalls, etc. protection.

Would like to know which is the best, but also the easiest one to use, since my desktop PC at home is also used by my two kids, for whom "heavy" restricting programs may become a burden and then they may use them under "disabled" mode.

Thanks

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Both programs are excellent. Although I have never tried it, I'm leaning towards DefenseWall from what I have read.

Sandboxie mainly isolates programs like browsers, instant messaging, etc. from your machine by virtualization. DefenseWall would put restrictions on those and anything else considered untrusted. For example, if you kids remove a download from a program running in Sandboxie, that download is not restricted at all. With DefenseWall, the downloaded program would be restricted because the browser is untrusted.

If you want things enforced on your computer, find a security program that has password protected settings that won't allow your kids to disable or change the protection. I'm pretty sure Sandboxie can't do this and I have no idea about DefenseWall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.