Sandboxie, rundll32.exe and PDF-XChange Editor

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Peter 123, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Hello,

today for the first time Sandboxie asked me to allow Start/Run Access for the file rundll32.exe in order to be able to open PDF-files within the browser (for which I use the PDF-XChange Editor). I allowed it and now I can open the files almost as usually.

I have two questions:

1. Is it normal that Sandboxie suddenly requires this permission for the rundll.32.exe? (I assume it has to do with latest version of Firefox which I use: 71.0)

2. From now on whenever I want to open a PDF-file I am asked which program I want to use for this action. Of course I have checked the box to do it always with the PDF-XChange Editor. But the window which asks me for the program appears every time. (This happens only when having chosen - outside Sandboxie - the XChange Editor as standard in Firefox for viewing PDF-files. When chosing the Firefox built-in viewer, the PDF-files open in Sandboxie immediately).
    Does anyone have an idea how I can get rid again of this permanent question?

Thanks in advance.

I use:
    - Windows 7, 32 bit
    - Sandboxie 5.31.6
    - PDF-XChange Editor version 8.0.331.0
    - Firefox 71.0 [the only change/update during the last time]

2. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Yes, its normal. I haven't updated Firefox in my W7 yet, but I am seeing same thing in my W10 (rundll.32.exe attempt to run when trying to open a PDF).
    This new Firefox update has created a new conflict between Firefox, PDF Readers and Sandboxie. I think we all are seeing some sort of issue when trying to open PDFs in Sandboxie. We can save PDFs but cant open them.

Bo

4. Peter 123

Thanks, Quassar and Bo, for your replies.

So my suspicion was right, that once more a Firefox update is the reason for troubles.

5. Peter 123

6. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

When I want to view a pdf I download it and then open it from the saved destination "desktop". For me it works and always uses the forced pdf reader (Nitro Reader free). Sandboxie 5.31.4 atm and FF 71, Win 10 1809. In windows apps the pdf viewer is "Nitro Reader" in firefox I haven't changed anything.
    Maybe this could help you or the other experts to find a solution :)

7. Peter 123

Yes. This way it works. But of course it is more complicated than opening the file directly within the browser.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.