Sandboxie-Plus v1.8.0

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Feb 27, 2023.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

This build introduced a couple of major changes to sansdboxies inner mechanics, all preset access directives have been moved to template entries. Sandboxie now fully isolates the NT namespace reducing the potential attack surface. Last but not least a couple of compatibility fixes should improve the use of chrome and chromium based applications.

Download: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v1.8.0

Changelog

Added
    • Run menu now supports folders, to be used by entering foldername1\foldername2\entryname in the name column of the UI
    • added a tray indicator for pending updates
    • added virtualization for CreateDirectoryObject(Ex) and OpenDirectoryObject (improves security, prevents name squatting) -- note: this can be disabled using 'NtNamespaceIsolation=n'
    Changed
    • 'OpenProtectedStorage=y' has been replaced with a template
    • moved all built-in access rules to a set of default templates
    • moved WinetCache control to a template OpenWinetCache, 'CloseWinetCache=y' is now obsolete
    • added hook for CreateAppContainerToken, which should also improve compatibility with other apps #1926 -- note: Template_Edge_Fix is no longer required
    • replaced a few icons
    • moved the "Support" global settings page above the "Advanced Config" page and renamed it to "Support & Updates"
    • when dragging and dropping a file on the SandMan UI to run it, the currently selected box will be pre-selected in the box picker dialog
    • improved access rule handling #2633
    • SbieCtrl now uses the new update format when checking for updates
    • added priorization of primary matches over auylairy matches to rule specificity
    Fixed
    • added AppContainer support for Compartment type boxes
    • FIXED SECURITY ISSUE ID-22 NtCreateSectionEx was not filtered by the driver
    • fixed issue starting services without a system token
    • fixed issues with new file migration settings #2700
    • fixed shell integration on ARM64 #2685
    • fixed new issues with driver verifier #2708

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

For some reason I cannot download version 1.8.0, the link with the 1.8.0 tag leads to version 1.7.2.

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Thanks!

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

All working well at the moment. (Plus on Win 10)

6. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Same here.

7. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I'm glad to hear that as this build really changes quite a few things so has a lot of potential to break something.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I am trying different things to try and break it :)

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I removed Template_Edge_Fix from Sie.ini as you state it is no longer required

Edge still works ok without it.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If I start Edge (1.8.0) in a blue box and it triggers Sbie 'check for updates' should this close Edge down?

That is what just happened. Edge showed in GUI but not on desktop and when I opened GUI to see what was going on update check appeared.

I had run blue box a short while ago with no update check issue, and have just tried again with no issue.
    Perhaps a one off event.

Also why do no messages appear in the bottom Sbie GUI window anymore, have I missed something?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I had to restart machine to get message area in GUI to populate.

12. busy

busy Registered Member

I don't know why but when using Edge in blue box sometimes it doesn't start properly. I haven't had this problem with other boxes. (Not specific to 1.8.0)

13. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Thank you for v1.8.0 :) Apparently, this build introduces ConfigLevel=10.
    Is this also related to "improved access rule handling #2633"? Could you provide an example of its use? Thank you.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Confirmed here. I thought it was just me not clicking the mouse properly :D
    Sometimes info for Edge shows in GUI but nothing on screen. Or sometimes first opening tab in Edge (Google) tries and tries to load just spinning. Seems worse with this build.
    Does not happen each time.

15. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

So let say you have a rule C:\Windows\*
    When you are accessing the windows folder itself the path that will be passed to the access check function will be C:\Windows not C:\Windows\
    Only when you access a sub path C:\Windows\Something.abc you will get the \
    So sandboxie when matching a path to a rule first tries the path as is and if that does not match it appends a \ to the path and tries with that
    such that if you have a rule for C:\Windows\* it will also match C:\Windows itself

Now with that change if you have a rule for C:\Windows\* and an other one for C:\Windows the match of the first rule will be overruled by the match of the second rule.

In the particular use case the goal was to allow access the root of a drive but protect the sub folders
    UseRuleSpecificity=y
    WriteFilePath=E:\*\*
    OpenFilePath=E:\*
    So files on the root drive should match the open file path but not the write file path, only files in sub folders should match the write file path,
    without the fix however files on the root got a \ appended to their name and matched the write file path as well resulting in them not being accessible.

16. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@stapp i see there was some confision with the old 1.0.10 thread, should I in future make the thread titles contain the release date?
    like: "Sandboxie Plus v1.8.0 (Feb 2023 release)"
    o_O

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Could be a good idea :thumb:

18. plat

plat Registered Member

Firefox just updated to 110.01. I mention this only b/c of the new gpu sandboxing feature and how some were having problems with that. I read the changelog and nothing mentions any changes related to the gpu sandbox. I'm continuing to keep this enabled and Plus v. 1.8.0 is running very well overall.

Hopefully things get sorted otherwise but I'm enjoying this combo at the moment. Runs well. :thumb:

19. soccerfan

Thank you for your detailed explanation! Two follow-up questions:
    Q1: Will the above code work correctly only in v1.8.0 (and above) because of the new fixes?
    Q2: If using such code in a privacy (blue) box (with UsePrivacyMode=y),
    is the line 'UseRuleSpecificity=y' redundant (because privacy mode invokes rule specificity)?

20. txhawkeye

txhawkeye Registered Member

@DavidXanatos, I believe @busy and @stapp may be experiencing another manifestation of the problem I reported on github (https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/2588) where I experienced intermittent Firefox startup problems beginning with SBIE+ 1.5.3 in boxes with data protection (ie, with UsePrivacyMode=y).

I have also experienced intermittent startup failures for both Edge and Chrome starting with 1.5.3, but Firefox is my primary browser and I rarely use them.

Based on a lot of testing, it seems that 1.5.3 introduced some sort of timing issue or race condition such that Firefox, Edge, Chrome and other applications sometimes fail to start properly and I've confirmed the problem still exists in 1.8.0.

I was able to find a workaround that eliminates the startup failures for me on my 2 drive laptop (Windows 10 21H2). I created a local template to use in sandboxes configured with UsePrivacyMode=y :
    [Template_Local_PrivacyBase]
    Tmpl.Title=PrivacyBase
    Tmpl.Class=Local
    # Drives
    ClosedFilePath=C:
    ClosedFilePath=E:
    # Allow access to important system folders
    NormalFilePath=%SystemRoot%
    NormalFilePath=%ProgramFiles%
    NormalFilePath=C:\Program Files (x86)
    # Registry
    WriteKeyPath=\Registry\User\*

For me the ClosedFilePath along with the appropriate NormalFilePath and OpenFilePath statements eliminates the intermittent startup failures in boxes where UsePrivacyMode=y is used.

21. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

1 yes
    2 yes but it wont hurt to have it redundant

22. busy

busy Registered Member

Privacy mode already does the following by default.

Code:
    WriteFilePath=*
    NormalFilePath=%SbieHome%
    +
    Code:
    # Allow access to important system folders
    NormalFilePath=%SystemRoot%
    NormalFilePath=%ProgramFiles%
    NormalFilePath=C:\Program Files (x86)
    # Registry
    WriteKeyPath=\Registry\User\*
    The only difference I see here is that 'ClosedFilePath' is used instead of 'WriteFilePath' for selected drives. Have you tried using 'WriteFilePath' instead of 'ClosedFilePath'? Does it give the same error?

Code:
    WriteFilePath=C:
    WriteFilePath=E:

23. soccerfan

Note that v1.8.0 "moved all built-in access rules to a set of default templates"
    The default for a privacy enhanced (blue) box is:
    Code:
    # From v1.8.0 Templates.ini
    #
    # Access rules for privacy enhanced boxes
    #
    [TemplatePModPaths]
    #NormalKeyPath=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\*
    #NormalKeyPath=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\*
    #NormalKeyPath=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\*
    #NormalKeyPath=\REGISTRY\USER\*_Classes\*
    WriteKeyPath=\REGISTRY\USER\*
    #
    NormalFilePath=%SystemRoot%\*
    NormalFilePath=%SbieHome%\*
    NormalFilePath=%ProgramFiles%\*
    NormalFilePath=%ProgramFiles% (x86)\*

I don't see "WriteFilePath=*". Perhaps it is also applied? [ @DavidXanatos knows for sure :)]

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Edge browser (blue box) closed on me but it still shows in GUI.
    I was watching and listening to Youtube on Edge while browsing forums on Vivaldi for about an hour when Edge window just closed.

Ended up emptying Blue Edge box via GUI .
    Screenshot 2023-03-02 154308.jpg

25. busy

busy Registered Member

Code:
    if (ok && proc->use_privacy_mode) { // in privacy mode all drive paths are set to "write"
    https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/blob/829896cf89db66500892ae2d505729a1cc43eed6/Sandboxie/core/drv/file.c#LL840C41-L840C41

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.