Sandboxie Plus 0.9.8d

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Nov 1, 2021.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

This build fixes many bugs.

Download: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/0.9.8d

Changelog
    Added
    • added checkbox if the user wants SandMan.exe to be started after installation #1318
    • added template for Windows 10 virtual desktop manager #1326
    Changed
    • "OpenClsid=..." is no longer restricted to CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER execution contexts only
      -- this allows to run objects with the CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER flag in the COM helper service
    • in the trace view, now multiple types can be selected at once
    • a few Plus UI entries were made translatable (by gexgd0419) #1320
    • changed default "terminate all boxed processes" key to Shift+Pause (by isaak654) #1337
    Fixed
    • fixed ini writing issue with SbieCtrl and the new ini handling mechanism #1331
    • fixed issue with trace log filtering
    • fixed space issue about German language on Plus installer (by mpheath) #1333
    • restored Waterfox phishing template entries with a proper fix (by APMichael) #1334

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Classic 5.53.3 installed over the top. No issues so far.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Plus 9.8.4 installed over the top. No issue so far.

4. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Did a clean install and no problems or issues for me.

Classic Sandboxie 5.53.3 (64 bit)
    Windows 10 (64 bit)

Programs/Apps sandboxed:
    Firefox 94.0 (64 bit)
    Mozilla Thunderbird 91.2.1 (64 bit)
    Librewolf 92.0.1 (64 bit)

5. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

The same for me. Thanks, David. :thumb:

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

png_12282.png png_12287.png
    Edit: running CCleaner against Edge stopped notifications.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  7. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

+1.

8. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

As expected after reading the changelog this latest release does not touch/improve the issues described with Chromium-browsers >=v.95 (as latest Chrome and Opera v.82) - at least on Intel-11th-gen-systems with Intel-Iris-Xe-graphics - and in particular with HW-acceleration set to On as is the default setting.

To add to that even with Opera v.80, the current production-version still using Chromium-engine-v94 which used to launch without issues, also with HW-acceleration set to On, I have run into increased "hickups" as of recently (minor upgrades within same version-number??). Now, what does "hickups" mean? Not long after launching Opera it happens from time to time (and usually within the first 5 minutes after launch), that the Touchpad-mousepointer will become unresponsive in a non-reproducible manner. That is sometimes it will help to start a new browser-window via the keyboard, sometimes the browser will freeze completely and has to be closed by the newly implemented "emergency-button" (a good thing it exists).

After such forceful closure the sandbox then cannot auto-delete and will return an error-message when trying to delete its content via the Sandman-UI. The tray-icon therefore will not return to the empty-state but rather remain "loaded". However another instance of the browser (here Opera) can still be launched successfully in that box and then usually will work normally (other than Sandman-UI now showing 2 instances of opera) and without any of the pointer-hickups observed before. And when regularly ending that second instance of Opera after browsing is done - this time around the box will be able to auto-delete and BOTH instances of Opera will be gone and even the tray-icon will return to its empty state.

This newly observed phenomenon will occur in approx. 20% of launch-attempts so far and I will test in the next few days if the mouse-pointer will also hang if and when an additional wireless Logitech-mouse is attached to the system or if this is only an issue with the Touchpad-driver.

9. plat

plat Registered Member

Just want to confirm something: a browser is not supposed to update while under SBIE, right? I switched to Edge Dev from Edge Stable because the latter was getting on my nerves. Well just a few min. ago, I find that Edge updated to Version 97.0.1060.2. While in Edge Stable, no updating happened until I "disabled forced programs" and refreshed.

So my question is: how was Edge's updating circumventing Sandboxie's restrictions? Can this updater bypass Sandboxie? I tell you, I'm not a happy camper with this-I'm thinking about re-instating Stable just so this doesn't happen again.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Mmm, guess from a newbie here, is it possible MSEdge upgraded automatically in the background outside the sandbox?

11. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

This happened to me. I had Firefox sandboxed and it updated. Surprised me at first but I clicked Delete Contents and I think I unsandboxed Firefox and it was the version before the update. If you don't want the browser to update, look for a setting in the browser that says don't update. You might want to check Task Scheduler to make sure there's not a task to update the browser. If there is, disable it. If you want to go back to a previous version, try using the last system restore point. You can also download the last versions here: https://microsoft-edge.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

12. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Only for testing the situation I just tried to update Firefox (from version 93.0 to 94.0) within Sandboxie. And - as I prefer - it did not work. :)

I got first this message (SBIE2214, 2219 and 2220):

[​IMG]

and then (after closing the above window and trying again to start the update) I got the following message (SBIE 1308 ):

[​IMG]

So obviously with the appropriate restrictions in the settings (of Sandboxie) no update of the browser (at least of Firefox) occurs when being sandboxed.

Attached Files:

• M1.jpg
      M1.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
    • M2.jpg
      M2.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  13. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Running with "drop-rights", and FF can't update

14. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, thanks for the thoughtful replies--I checked the box restrictions and nothing was changed from Stable to Dev. So it must be inherent in the browser itself, specifically the updating mechanism. It's already pretty restrictive--just favorites and the phishing database. Since this is a beta, maybe the updater can bypass Sandboxie? I'd kind of like to know for sure. Edge Stable simply did not update until I manually enabled it to do so. :cautious:.

I forgot exactly why I didn't enable Drop Rights for Edge but it was something super-annoying so I don't want to re-enable it. Maybe that's the key--thanks henryg1. :) Does anyone use Dev or Canary? I would appreciate knowing if someone who runs either version had this experience as well.

15. plat

plat Registered Member

I think you nailed it. Here is a snip of the task. Now, I don't know whether this identical task is present in Edge Stable since that would put me back at Square 1. You know what? Whatever. Another example of Edge irritating me. Well, there's always Opera, lol.

Nice reminder--thank you. This might be the ticket that allowed the update unless stated otherwise.
    edge task.png

Edit: yes, Peter 123--Edge stable version also did not update under those circumstances; that's why I got all annoyed. Since I'm running a beta version of Edge, clearly the updater can bypass SBIE restrictions and apparently created a Task for this purpose. But if this same Task is created in Edge Stable, then I don't know how Dev was able to update. No biggie. I'll leave it alone for now. :) But people running beta versions of Edge in SBIE should be made aware that updates in the background may happen without your knowledge.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

png_12316.png png_12313.png png_12315.png

17. plat

plat Registered Member

@bjm_ If not too much trouble, do you by any chance have the same Task for Edge Stable that I have--in Task Scheduler? My snip is in post #15. Or does yours go by a different name and description? By the way, this has nothing to do with CCleaner but with the Edge core updater. I'm trying to determine whether it's different for Edge.Dev and can therefore routinely bypass Sandboxie to update the browser without your knowledge.

Like you, I got the same error message when going to the about: Microsoft Edge page to check for updates. That's the Stable and that's what I want. My issue is with the Dev updater. :)

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

@plat1098 is this what you need?
    png_12331.png png_12329.png png_12330.png

19. Stelica

Stelica Registered Member

Hello,
    Sometimes an event viewer error occurs related to Sandboxie 5.53.3 (see attachment). I have no other security solution installed, only Microsoft Defender!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      91.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  20. plat

plat Registered Member

Hmmm, looks the same Stable vs. Dev. Thanks for posting that. :thumb: Well, I'm over it. If it keeps happening, not disabling the Task but I'll just revert to Stable again, I guess. :cautious:

21. Stelica

I found the cause. It happens when I open microsoft edge pdf sandboxed document. I returned to v 5.53.2 and I removed VirtualDesktop Manager template in Sandboxie.ini settings. I think the VirtualDesktop Manager template it's the problem because for me it's the only setting in addition to 5.53.2.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  22. Stelica

I also faced other issues with Sandboxie Classic 5.53.3 - gmail connection issues (page freeze) and high disk activity. Now I use Sandboxie Classic 5.53.2 and these problems are gone!
    I have windows 10 Pro 21H1, Microsoft Defender only and Windows firewall. My main browser is Mozilla Firefox.

23. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

does 5.33.3 work ok when you disable that template?

24. Stelica

I do not know. I went back to 5.53.2, deleted this template and the error did not appear!
    Sandboxie 5.53.3 worked ok before but when I openeded a edge pdf document an event viewer error appeared in which it said that the application (Sandboxie) has defects.
    I think that the other issues occurred after the last firefox update.

25. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

could you please test also what does the event log message says? does sbiesvc crash or only log an error?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.