Sandboxie Plus 0.9.7 Test Build

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by lost24, Oct 2, 2021.

1. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Clean install.

Classic Sandboxie 5.52.5 (64 bit)
    Windows 10 (64 bit)

Everything works perfectly for me. I see the minor issue of mixed browser settings (Applications, Web Browser, Mozilla Firefox) has now been fixed and all the settings are now grouped together by browser. Nice!

2. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

v0.9.7e installed without problems. Nice work, thank you very much.

Two minor observations, though.

The long observed phenomenon that the tray-icon will disappear/close down after initial installation still exists. Only after a re-boot or the start of the first sandboxed process (which at times may open the UI unsolicitedly) it will become permanent.

Also the part to perform immediate recovery in parallel to quick recovery when ticked in the options-section (and without the Sbie-plus-ini-statement "InstantRecovery=0") seems still missing.

Finally I'd like to remind you of a brilliant idea you proposed some time ago. You suggested to implement checkboxes in the UI-options-Forced_Programs-section so that forced folders could temporarily be de-activated and afterwards re-activated again by just un-/re-checking that box without having to delete that folder under consideration entirely first and then afterwards having to declare it anew from scratch, maybe with a long path-name which can be quite arduous to declare.

Just my 2 cents.

3. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

All good here with 0.9.7e. Thanks for all of your time and hardwork @DavidXanatos . Sandboxie is getting better and better!

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

No problems so far with either 0.9.7e or 5.52.5

Nice work David :thumb:

5. APMichael

APMichael Registered Member

Thank you very much for the update.

I can confirm that when making changes via the GUI, the order in the .ini is now preserved.

Unfortunately, I now have the following small problem on 2 systems:

6. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

could you try to get the mnessage with the plus build, that should provide more informations.
    i have an idea what its caused by but I would like to confirm it

7. APMichael

APMichael Registered Member

Unfortunately, the error message is also with the Plus build without further information. :(
    (So I could not find a solution myself, except to hide the error message.)

Good to hear that you already have an idea.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  8. Survivor

Survivor Registered Member

I only realize now, you are not referring to the icon disappears, direct after you installed it, or when you hover over after or while install runs? Then it comes back, as you say after restart, or by manual start, respective when it is first used again?

9. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

You are _not_ referring? I AM referring to exactly that. As I see it the tray-icon should go permanently to the tray on startup/re-boot - as it does. So why would it close down again only after initial (successful) installation after a few seconds or, as you say, when hovering over it?

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I see the same.
    I install a new Plus build over the top.
    Taskbar icon then disappears when you put your mouse over it.
    Only way to get it back is to start a sandboxed instance of something... browser for example.

11. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

This happens as flows: the installer terminates the runnign sandman instance, in a way that leavs the icon behind, windows clears it only up when you move the mouse over it.
    When you start something or sandman explicitly only then the new instance of sandman gets started.

IMHO i should make the installer always autostart sandman after install this would clear up the issue.

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

This only happens with Plus, doesn't happen with Classic.

13. plat

plat Registered Member

Nice Plus observation. :) Tried to make it happen in Classic 5.52.5, and right, it doesn't happen there. Continues to work as though it wasn't there, almost.

14. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

I concur. So why not leaving it the "classic" way? Sounds like an easy catch to implement.

15. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

Sorry for having to introduce new browser-problems, again with Opera.

New production version v.80 (using Chromium engine v.94) will no longer install sandboxed, albeit when installed normally first (without forced-Sandbox-folder) can later be opened sandboxed as normal and will perform without issues.

To make things worse the advanced "Developer versions" opera v.81 (using Chromium engine v.95) and latest v.82 won't install sandboxed any longer either - but even when initially installed outside a sandbox first and running without problems outside - will later refuse to open within a sandbox.

All I will get is a white screen, no sandboxie-error-msg, and after a few seconds a message in the header-bar saying "Loading... Opera [#] (Not Responding)".

Good thing we meanwhile have that "panic key" as this (terminating the process) for now seems the only way to close down that unresponsive window.

These observations - just in case that matters - have again been made on an 11th-gen-Intel-machine but currently I have no reason to assume that the phenomena described wouldn't occur on any Win10-system upgrading to these latest Opera-versions.

Does anyone else here use Opera? If so, observations about similar or different behavior would be appreciated.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

"Use hardware acceleration when available" -> try off -

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  17. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. It really did the trick! I wasn't even thinking of that - as until Opera v.80 all had worked well with HW-acceleration enabled.

So the question remains what the hell they may have "improved" again with that latest version to cripple the HW-acceleration-functionality within Sandboxie?

Also do you have any educated guess how much disabling HW-acceleration will cost performance-wise?

And since HW-acceleration DID WORK within Sandboxie up until now - how are the odds any minor adaptions @DavidXanatos could implement into Sandboxie would make HW-acceleration=on possible within Sandboxie again?

Addendum: Now that with HW-acceleration=off the browser will start sandboxed again I should point out that the first phenomenon described above still persists. Since Opera v.80 (and also with HW-acceleration=off) the installation-process itself will no longer succeed with a target-folder being force-sandboxed - as has been possible with previous Opera-versions

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

No idea. I've never run "Use hardware acceleration when available" on. No idea if my machine supports "hardware acceleration". I don't run Opera. I toggle lots of Chrome & Edge switches off. Just me.

19. GrDukeMalden

GrDukeMalden Registered Member

I don't know if this is a known bug or not, but running chromium edge in SBP will cause an instant bluescreen

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Which number build of SBPlus are you using?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.