Sandboxie or Comodo Internet Security 6 sandbox?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Hi everyone. this is my first time posting on Wilders. I am wondering what the difference between full virtualization in Sandboxie and Comodo Internet Security 6 sandbox was. Is the Comodo sandbox as secure as Sandboxie? Can malware escape from the Comodo 6 sandbox. Thanks for any explanations.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

3. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Thanks Beethoven. I was just wondering which was more secure. The thread did not totally answer my question. Do you think that the Comodo sandbox is as resistant to malware escaping as Sandboxie?

4. The Red Moon

hi ad18,
    To be perfectly honest with you i dont really know.Ive been using comodo since the day it was released and i really havent tested the sandbox.
    One thing i do know is that sandboxie is far more configurable at the moment.
    I have both programs installed and i tend to use the comodo sandbox and rarely use virtual kiosk.
    Im sure somebody who has tested it and is more knowledgeable will help you.
    Im sorry i cannot be more help and maybe a visit to the comodo forum maybe worth your while.:D :D

5. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

How did you get Sandboxie to work with Comodo Internet Security 6? When I tried my computer was unstable.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

It doesn't work with CIS 6. I've had to move on and find a different setup because of this conflict. It's a shame really because they made a great combo.

7. kjdemuth

I would have to say that I prefer sandboxie over CIS sandbox. You can configure sandboxie way more than CIS. For instance I have all my USB drives sandboxed and a specific download folder that everything is sent to. I also have a testing sandbox that allows things to run but not make any changes.
    As fas as more secure, I'm not 100% sure but I think that sandboxie is more secure. Maybe one of our resident experts, sully or bo elam will be able to shed some light.

8. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

I was afraid that Sandboxie might not be compatible with Comodo Internet Security. I did actually test the Comodo browser sandbox against some .exe malware. I used about a dozen zero-day samples and after resetting the Comodo sandbox HitManPro did not find any malware. Thanks for all the advice guys.

9. The Red Moon

I too would like some more information on this...Although i have sandboxie installed plus comodo and ive not noticed any instability.Sandboxie is tried and tested and solid but comodo sandbox is still new...

10. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

IMO after extensive testing I have come to the conclusion they are both pretty secure :blink:
    I was a big fan of SBE I stil am but I prefer CIS6 simply because as a full security solution again IMO it can't be beat, the sandboxed browser on its own is formidable to any exploit/malware throw in the BB and HIPS and you got a solid state of security and thats not mentioning the FW. Future versions of CIS are even more promising - integrated Valkyre and improved BB to name a couple of upcoming features :thumb:
    I know the CIS sandbox isn't as configurable as SBE right now, sure been able to virtualize individual folders would be nice and a registry "tweak" is required for full virtualization for unknown programs but to be honest it does pretty much what I need as it is (I have enabled full virtual via the registry), you can add folders/files/groups to remain persistent/sticky, you can chose whatever program you require to run virtual at start up.
    I really like that I can restrict certain high risk files/folders/.exes etc such as IE and windows media player.
    One thing I have found and had to change is my choice of browser, I know use Dragon as default as I found Waterfox didn't like the CIS sandbox, I have since however discovered how smooth and snappy Dragon is and wouldn't want to change back.
    All just my opinion but food for thought ;)

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

In theory yes.
    The reason I'd still recommend SBIE over CIS sandbox is purely due to the years of proven protection offered by the former.Only time will tell if CIS sandbox is as secure,although early results suggest it might be.

12. andyman35

What problems are you having,they work ok together for me?

13. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Thank for all the advice guys. I think I will stick with CIS 6 for know. Their sandbox is pretty good and they also have a good zero-day component.

14. The Red Moon

If i may add.Virtualization also helps in keeping the HDD clean too.
    When i run comodo dragon unsandboxed and use for approximately 2-3 hours ccleaner will detect that roughly 60-70mb needs cleaning.
    Running under sandboxie in the same time period ccleaner finds about 20mb or so and under comodo virtual browser roughly the same and perhaps a little less .
    These are my observations so there are other benefits other than just security but system maintenance also.:D

15. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

You're right. Web browsers can leave behind a lot of junk files. A sandbox makes it easy to get rid of these junk files. Thanks Beethoven.

16. The Red Moon

Your most welcome.
    Comodo sandbox is quite new but its running ok here.Without sounding like an obsessed comodo fan there stuff is very good.its free so no complaints about price lol..:D
    I use their browser and the programs manager too which is a wonderful little program that can monitor any installations i make and makes uninstalling effortless.o_O

17. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Agreed :thumb: CPM is a good alternative to Revo with a far better price tag ;)

18. The Red Moon

I actually use both.but CPM can monitor 64bit installations where as revo free doesnt see these apps.
    Nice combo.:thumb:

19. kjdemuth

For some reason when I run sandboxie and Comodo firewall it hangs when the browser starts. I'm running firefox 18 on win 7 home premium 32bit. When I run firefox sandboxed it opens but it locks up after a few seconds. The whole system starts to lock up and I have to hard reset my laptop. Same thing with chrome. I've add exceptions in CIS and sandboxie. I'm not really sure where the conflict is. I've added a ticket to sandboxie forum.

20. pegr

pegr Registered Member

As part of the elimination process, you could try temporarily uninstalling any other security applications one at a time, starting with WSA, to see if the problem persists. WSA intermittently caused system lockups at shutdown on my machine, which is one reason I don't use it. Also, WSA contains Identity Shield which could be causing browser interference, even if disabled. If the problem persists then you will know for sure that it is a straightforward two-way conflict between Sandboxie and CIS; if it doesn't then it isn't a conflict between Sandboxie and CIS as such, in which case you would have some options to consider.

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've removed Sandboxie from my computer since I began running CIS 6. I just use the virtual dragon browser. Fast, totally reliable so far, no complaints of any kind.

I think between Comodo's sandbox and the chrome sandbox, how can a person go wrong. Throw in Comodo firewall and antivirus and you might be as close to bulletproof as you can get.

22. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

You should be pretty safe with the Comodo sandbox and the Dragon sandbox. I tested the Comodo sandbox against 10 pieces of malware and nothing got through. Then I tested it with about 30 pieces of malware and nothing got through. I think you can't go wrong with the Comodo sandbox or Sandboxie.

23. The Red Moon

I personally would like to see more testing of the comodo virtual environments before ditching sandboxie if i do at all.
    Sandboxie is cemented to my hard drive lol.:thumb:

24. andyman35

I'd look to Pegr's suggestion myself,that WSA could be the cause of your instability.When I used it a while ago I had occasional lock-ups/lag when running a sandboxed Firefox.

Having said that,this thread indicates SBIE could be at fault:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339443

25. andyman35

A wise approach,there's no substitute for years of field testing.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.