Sandboxie & Microsoft Silverlight DRM Issues

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheKid7, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am having issues with watching Amazon Instant Videos in my sandboxed web browser. I made a Post in the Sandboxie Forum about this issue. So far, I have gotten one reply saying that it is a Microsoft Silverlight DRM issue.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16113

If you have had this problem with a sandboxed web browser, please share what you found to be the best solution(s) to the problem.

Thanks in Advance.

2. TheKid7

I can successfully play the Amazon Instant Videos in a 'basic' sandbox which does not have Internet Access & Start/Run Access Restrictions. The 'basic' sandbox does have Drop Rights enabled.

I wish that I knew which exe's to add to the Internet Access & Start/Run Access Restrictions to allow me to watch the Amazon Instant Videos in my normal web surfing sandbox.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Kid7, try the solution suggested by Baldape, it worked for him.

By the way, if SBIE doesn't issue any messages 1307 or 1308 while using Amazon using your "normal web surfing sandbox", then it means there is nothing extra that needs to be allowed. It could just be that you need to use a unrestricted (Start/Run/Internet) sandbox to view videos there. In my personal experience, I use one video pay site that I cant view videos unless I use a sandbox where I don't have enabled Drop rights. Since it is a site that I use often, I created a sandbox for that purpose. You can do the same for Amazon.

You should know, using an unrestricted sandbox doesn't mean that you are unsafe. The chances of anything getting out are still very slim. Anyway, since you are able to use Drop rights in that particular sandbox, malware can run but the chances of actually installing in the sandbox are about 0.

Bo

4. TheKid7

Thank you.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I forgot to mention. If I was to use a dedicated sandbox for Amazon as the one that you described that works for you, to be safer, I would block programs in that sandbox from having access to my personal files and folders.

Bo

6. TheKid7

I don't like being on the web without using a sandbox.

I finally gave up and took one person's advice:

'Play a movie in the web browser without a sandbox. After that you should not have a problem playing them in a sandbox.'

I visited Amazon and started playing a movie for a short time (<1 minute) and then switched to another movie for a short time. My problem seems to have been fixed. Before doing the above, I could play the first movie in a sandbox, but the second move would always fail.

7. TheKid7

I have done the same thing to my other 2 PC's. I can now play Amazon videos on all 3 PC's with sandboxed web browsers. I am using my standard sandbox which has Droprights enabled with Internet Access Restrictions and Start/Run Restrictions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.